Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this last round of work on my BKO we had to install a catalytic converter. Guess we weren't exempt after all since it's my daily 🙄 I'm not really happy with the one they put on. I'm not sure what brand or whatever he used, it's on my to do list to find out, but I hate the way she sounds now and it feels like I've lost horsepower 😠 when accelerating she doesn't have that growl she use to. If I smash it there's no rumble anymore but almost sounds poufy, like there's a leak but she still rumbles down when I take my foot off the gas. Sounds great decelerating, sounds like a dog accelerating 😥 I need some suggestions here guys. I've seen y'all talk about performance cats and exhaust systems at length... What do I need to do to get my hp and my growl back?

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,250 Posts
Get your inspection and... well, if it just falls off somewhere and a pipe grows back in it's place... I mean, what's a girl to do? ;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get your inspection and... well, if it just falls off somewhere and a pipe grows back in it's place... I mean, what's a girl to do? ;)
I wish but that's just money wasted ☹

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,614 Posts
Have the shop make the cat bolt on both ends in place, then have them make a straight pipe to the exact Same measurements (They can’t install it!) and after inspection swap it out.... when you renew swap it back in ;) you didn’t hear that from me though!!:LOL:

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
100 Posts
Oh man, I am glad we dont have emmisions testing here in Michigan. We use to have to do it every year, and it was a pain in the a$$!!

I second the idea of a removable straight pipe that you can swap in a cat for testing purposes only.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,879 Posts
Maybe carb needs few tweaks to run correct with the extra back pressure???
Also if it is only needing a CAT, not actually passing for tailpipe. You will want to look at a more open cell "race cat" Vibrant makes a nice stainless one, with a metal core.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That really sucks. I thought California was the only smog forever state? I can see a yearly safety inspection to ensure all lights/ seat belts/ and the entire undercarriage is not rotting off.... but smoging a 30 year old vehicle?? What percentage of the population daily drives a 25+ year old vehicle that the state deems it necessary to protect the environment from these?

At least Georgia has a 25 year exemption... and that is really common sense.

It is not like you have a freaking check engine light.... so the state/local business owners has to maintain actual sniffing machines forever.

·
Registered
721 Posts
That is weird because I thought I had read that it was like a 1984 and up thing. Don't quote me on the year, but my 80 was exempt. I also live in Texas. We roll coal and inhale it just for fun.

·
Super Moderator
25,371 Posts
Yo MOM,
A clogged converter will restrict exhaust flow, while a cracked one will leak. Both can negatively affect engine performance and can cause a reduction in power and acceleration as well as fuel economy.
Inspect for a leak first.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
944 Posts
Got a picture of the cat they installed? Is it a stock one or an aftermarket high flow?
What about getting a PO Box in a non-smog county to register the truck under?

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
are they taking a reading from the exhaust pipe or just visual inspection? because it's real easy to hollow out a cat and put it back.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,726 Posts
Im running a small magnaflow spun metallicat on my 85. If it reduces growl, id love to hear it without, because its pretty darn loud as is. We dont have testing here in KS, but I wanted it for fumes. It certainly reduces the fumes, but idk if it would be "50 state" legal.

You can easily see through it, so flow isnt an issue.

And you can see it isnt very big. 3" pipe.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
583 Posts
I’m glad Arkansas doesn’t do this anymore. Mine is wiiidddeeee open besides flowmaster super 40’s and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,250 Posts
are they taking a reading from the exhaust pipe or just visual inspection? because it's real easy to hollow out a cat and put it back.
This is what I'm currently doing with the first CAT but the second was bypassed completely.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They do a vacuum test on the gas cap here for emissions plus visual to make sure all the parts are there that are supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a picture of the cat they installed? Is it a stock one or an aftermarket high flow?
What about getting a PO Box in a non-smog county to register the truck under?
I can get one tomorrow. It's been pouring here all day 😠 I would have to go to Ohio for the po box but that would give me an out of state plate and the local fuzz know my truck and where it lives and would call me on it since I'm the neighborhood pariah 🙄

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m glad Arkansas doesn’t do this anymore. Mine is wiiidddeeee open besides flowmaster super 40’s and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jealous 😕

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe carb needs few tweaks to run correct with the extra back pressure???
Good point. I'll have to ask him if he made any adjustments to account for that. Thanks for the tip on the vibrant cat 👍

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That really sucks. I thought California was the only smog forever state? I can see a yearly safety inspection to ensure all lights/ seat belts/ and the entire undercarriage is not rotting off.... but smoging a 30 year old vehicle?? What percentage of the population daily drives a 25+ year old vehicle that the state deems it necessary to protect the environment from these?

At least Georgia has a 25 year exemption... and that is really common sense.

It is not like you have a freaking check engine light.... so the state/local business owners has to maintain actual sniffing machines forever.
Pa does emissions, don't know that I'd really calls it smogging...they do a safety inspection also. Stupid rules exempt anything 80 and older (I believe) for cats and emissions, but all the parts need to be there and working like if it came from the factory with a smog pump it has to have a functioning smog pump... Stupid shit like that 🙄 but I agree with everything you're saying...👍 they change their emissions rules around here every few years so all the inspection mechanics end up having to buy all new emissions equipment to the tune of 5-8k 😠 it's ridiculous

·
Registered
345 Posts
We need to send our State DMV/Smog police to China and India. I mean, we all need to do our part for a cleaner world but I’m a little tired of the good ole US of A pissing on a 1982 Bronco in PA while these 3rd World countries are spewing trash and pollution and eating bats and humping goats..just sayin’....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts