Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our donor truck for our '84 Bronco, a totalled '93 F150 2WD w/an EFI 302 happens to be a dual tank truck. In order for the fuel system to operate properly, I'm going to have to swap both tanks over to the Bronco. The side tank in the '93 will have to be modified considerably in order for it to fit under the Bronco. It's way too long to fit as is. Anyone here done such a swap involving dual tanks? Got any tips/tricks you can throw at me? I'm being told there is no safe way to just use one of the tanks due to design of the system. I don't suppose anyone here has a found a safe alternative to using both tanks have they? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem lies in the design of the fuel system. I'm being told that there is no safe way to bypass the second tank, it has to be used in order for the fuel system to properly work. I'd much rather only have to fool with one tank.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Who told you you have to swap both tanks? You really dont even have to swap one, you just have to install an electric fuel pump that can put out 40 psi+ pressure and you have to wire it to the computer correctly. As long as its getting fuel pressure and the comp is able to control the pump it doesnt care what tank its sucking out of.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tunedup said:
Who told you you have to swap both tanks? You really dont even have to swap one, you just have to install an electric fuel pump that can put out 40 psi+ pressure and you have to wire it to the computer correctly. As long as its getting fuel pressure and the comp is able to control the pump it doesnt care what tank its sucking out of.
You're the only person who has said this can be done and I like what I'm hearing. Have you or someone you know done this? This would make my life much easier, please tell me more. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also Tunedup

I'm pretty sure the '93 utilizes a "return type" fuel system meaning there's a line that carries excess/unused fuel back to the tank. That's one of the problems doing it the way you are mentioning, no return line. If you know a way around this please, do tell!

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
You only need to use the rear F-150 tank. It's a single-system high pressure pump so you're all set there. Use the F-150 fuel feed line from the fuel filter forward to the fuel rail and the return line from the fuel rail to the fuel filter. The fuel filter housing should be able to be used. Basically make a fuel line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter housing "in" and cap off the extra port from the missing tank. For the fuel return, bypass the filter housing (cap off unused ports) and go directly to the fuel pump return port. This is based on a 4-in/4-out filter housing if I remember the F-150 system has in '93. I think it was after '91 when Ford switched from a system where the switching was done in a three way valve to a system where the fuel pumps have internal check valves to deal with the switching.

I have a '91 F-250 with the newer style switching and one of the previous owners took out the rear tank and simply plugged the fuel lines (feed and return). It worked just fine with the front tank only. Since owning it, I've installed a bronco tank in the rear and re-hooked up the lines, no issues.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
I'd say something here, but everyone else has covered it already. You need to go get a BRONCO tank and swap it in. Re-do the fuel lines your'self. Screw any hill-billy that tells you to use 2 tanks. Trust me when it comes to EFI swaps, I've done many, and heard about all of them. You never NEED 2 tanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since upon inspection I found the F150 tank is bigger dimensionally.....

...and won't fit in the designated spot under the rear of the Bronco, what year did they introduce the in-tank pumps on Broncos so I can begin searching for one. I don't suppose my existing tank can be retro-fitted with an in-tank pump, huh? What all years are interchangeable with the in-tank?

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
makemeknowit said:
You're the only person who has said this can be done and I like what I'm hearing. Have you or someone you know done this? This would make my life much easier, please tell me more. :)
:stupid :beer

·
Registered
489 Posts
Damager said:
my '86 has a sending unit in the tank and an inline pump under the drivers seat in the frame rail :shrug
that's probably due to yours being a Canadian model .... In most cases, US specs are a couple years ahead of Canadian specs (or even completely different all together .... kinda like Mercury trucks - Canada only)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts