Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my truck "Running" I can pour gas in the carb, and she runs until that gas is burned off. Though the fuel in the tank isnt touched.

I am afraid I hooked up the carb wrong.... I am going to upload a pic. Anything I should try real quick though?

·
Registered
710 Posts
possible, pull the hose from the pump off and make sure it's pumping.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
710 Posts
after looking at one of your video's (the first one up) it sounds like one or more of these things...

Fuel pump not pumping fuel (or clogged filter)

Firing order wrong

Bad tune-up parts (plugs, wires, cap)

Jets in carburetor clogged up

Float in carburetor stuck

You'll need to go through these things and eliminate them one at a time.

Is the fuel pump pumping? (see previous post), is the carburetor float stuck (unscrew carb drain and see if fuel comes out), If you are getting fuel into your carburetor then turn it over a few times and see if your plugs are wet with gas (if not then you have a clogged jet). When you have your plug out check for fire, it should be blue and snappy, not yellow and weak.

Finally but actually first and foremost, make sure your firing order is correct...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume you check firing order with how the distributor is attached to the spark plugs? if so they are fine. Ran perfect before the last carb went south.

Oh, I also have only like.... a gallon in the tank, and the lines have been dry a while. Think that would matter?

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
He said that he can get it running by pouring some gas in the carb. That tells me it's a fuel supply issue. If you don't have a fuel pressure guage to connect inline of the fuel supply line than disconnect it and connect a hose to it and into a gas can or some sort of container and have some one tap the ignition and see if you get any fuel to go in the container.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could a fuel filter be fouled, by sitting for over a decade?

·
Registered
710 Posts
for sure could be a bad fuel filter. If there is only one gallon in the tank, then you are out of gas...

In the first video, if that is what you call "running" then it could be any of the things I mentioned earlier....

There's lots of things here to check, and they need to be gone through one at a time to rule them out. If there is no gas in the bowl of the carburetor then it will either be a bad filter/line, or pump. If there is gas in the bowl then you have an internal issue in the carburetor.

Of course if you say it sat for over a decade, then you have bad fuel. It will have ruined the filter, and quite possibly gummed up inside your tank pickup screen. As well as quite possibly having a bad distributor cap due to corrosion...

give some more information about the truck... How long has it sat since the last time that it ran? How much gas was in it, and how much have you put in it recently? What have you done to the truck so far?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is the gas in the tank that old too?
Might try putting some fresh gas in the tank and see what happens.

Best bet is to change out the fuel filter and check to see if the fuel pump is working.

·
Registered
331 Posts
absolutely... gas breaks down over time hell I wouldnt run untreated gas that was a year old in my lawn mower... your filter definitely needs to be changed... less than $10 the "sock" over you fuel pickup in you tank is probably caked with sediment too...

·
Registered
331 Posts
you mentioned you replaced the carb... store bought or did you rebuild yours, or just bolt one up from another vehicle? and before you did this swap, how did it run before that?

·
Registered
331 Posts
regardless, if the gas in the tank is 10 years old, siphon or drain it and add new gas... maybe even some "injector cleaner" to help clean out fuel lines... you might even need to send some air from a compressor thru your fuel lines just to make sure they are not clogged...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its new gas. The carb was a swap that I bought from a guy one here. Was on a 351M i believe.
Anyone look at my pics though? My gas pedal doesnt hook up right either. When it is connected there isnt enough slack so my pedal is like... at the floor.

Anyway, what is that ball chain too?

And where is the fuel filter located? I couldnt find it. Is it inline?

Before the swap, it didnt run, due to the carb dying. It had been rebuilt many many many times. The one on it now, ran, and the truck even moved... it just idled ungodly high.

·
Registered
710 Posts
there should be 3 fuel filters on yours... One in the tank called a "sock" filter, one inline usually on the rail, and one small screen filter where the fuel line bolts to the carburetor.

If the truck was COMPLETELY empty when parked then your sock filter may be ok, but if there was any 10 year old gas in there then you're gonna have to drop the tank and replace that sock filter at least.

Have you checked your fuel pump yet? You need to do this as well... The feed line for your pump can be run into a can of gas, turn the truck over a whole bunch and see if it pumps...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there should be 3 fuel filters on yours... One in the tank called a "sock" filter, one inline usually on the rail, and one small screen filter where the fuel line bolts to the carburetor.

If the truck was COMPLETELY empty when parked then your sock filter may be ok, but if there was any 10 year old gas in there then you're gonna have to drop the tank and replace that sock filter at least.

Have you checked your fuel pump yet? You need to do this as well... The feed line for your pump can be run into a can of gas, turn the truck over a whole bunch and see if it pumps...
Dont I have to drop the tank to check the fuel filter?

Is that really possible/safe on an inclined hill?

·
Registered
331 Posts
to check the sock filter you will have to drop the tank... not really a big deal, as long as its not full... you might need some pb blaster for some of the hardware... your driveway isnt that bad, just chock your wheels, which is always a good idea... I always chock mine when im up underneath one even when I dont have it jacked up and on flat surface.. I put one on both sides of one wheel... i dont think you will bee to jack it up to get the tank out, although more room is always good...

·
Registered
331 Posts
also if you pulled a carb from a 351M it isnt tuned for your 351w meaning it will probably need a little adjustment Id think... hopefully it was working on its previous engine? dont know what to tell you on the gas pedal, the 1980 351m that i looked at the other day had the same problem, very little movement before hitting the floor... all I can say to this is trace down the linkage and look for something that is loose, or play with adjustments...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Woot. I am oddly flexible enough to sit under my bronco, next to the gas tank. How tall is the fuel pump? Think I can remove it without dropping the tank? lol

Anyway, going to hook up my compressor to one end of the line, and see what happens.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definately a fuel issue, since we poured gas in the carb and kept pouring even after I started the truck, and she kept purring like a kitten.
I think I will drop the tank tomorrow, and blow out the fuel line either today to tomorrow.
Also, where on the 86 is the inline fuel filter? I have gone up and down the line 50 times, and I am not seeing it. My dad cant find it either.
>.>

1 - 20 of 37 Posts