Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. thanks for taking the time to read

I've had text book symptoms of bad u-joints (squeking, then after grease its a clunking/cracking sound) so i replace all 3 on the rear drive shaft. problem is, they're still making the same noise. :banghead

Im positive the joints were installed well and all of the needle bearings are standing up right.

Any ideas? :whiteflag

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:stupid

Did you rebuild the double cardan as well?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry,

there seems to be no change in how power is delivered to the rear.. no lurching or w/e. the cracking noises happen most often when turning at low speeds. they are more predominant when you are turning over a bump (there is a speed bump right before a turn to go into my auto shop class, it sounds like its falling apart when i go over that and turn)

does that help at all?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt rebuild it the double cardan, but i checked all the needles and the spring and it all looked good. plus new grease in it

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I may be mis-interpreting something here, but I don't see how turning the vehicle would affect the driveshaft in any way.

I CAN see how it would affect the differential, though. I'd open that cover up and take a look.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may be mis-interpreting something here, but I don't see how turning the vehicle would affect the driveshaft in any way.

I CAN see how it would affect the differential, though. I'd open that cover up and take a look.

umm... take a look under your car while somebody drives real slow, tell me if it moves.
:popc1:

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
sorry,

there seems to be no change in how power is delivered to the rear.. no lurching or w/e. the cracking noises happen most often when turning at low speeds. they are more predominant when you are turning over a bump (there is a speed bump right before a turn to go into my auto shop class, it sounds like its falling apart when i go over that and turn)

does that help at all?
Have you checked your balljoints? Are you in 4x4 when this happens? Have you checked your front drive shaft and axle u-joints?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its in 2wd...sounds like its coming from the mid-point of the vehicle.. i would be supprised if it was balljoints... havent checked axle u joints

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
its in 2wd...sounds like its coming from the mid-point of the vehicle.. i would be supprised if it was balljoints... havent checked axle u joints
Well according to you, you replaced the u-joints and did them properly so that eliminates that. You need to go from there, no matter how unlikely it seems. Have you checked the...what's it called, the slip joint in the drive shaft?
I wouldn't worry too much about the squeak, spraying the rear leafs and all the rubber bushings with wd40 may just solve that problem.
What do you mean by "IT" ?
It is your description of "it sounds like it's falling apart" that has me concerned.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well according to you, you replaced the u-joints and did them properly so that eliminates that. You need to go from there, no matter how unlikely it seems. Have you checked the...what's it called, the slip joint in the drive shaft?
I wouldn't worry too much about the squeak, spraying the rear leafs and all the rubber bushings with wd40 may just solve that problem.
What do you mean by "IT" ?
It is your description of "it sounds like it's falling apart" that has me concerned.
itis the axle?..i guess? the double cardan thing? would that make sense?

btw, thanks for all the help, really.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
itis the axle?..i guess? the double cardan thing? would that make sense?

btw, thanks for all the help, really.
I don't know, you tell me and you are welcome:thumbup

·
Registered
476 Posts
any popping sound or cracking almost will probably be radius arm bushing. they are practially right under your feet.

they either need to be changed. or a bolt just not be tight all the way making that popping sound.

·
ford freak
731 Posts
any popping sound or cracking almost will probably be radius arm bushing. they are practially right under your feet.

they either need to be changed. or a bolt just not be tight all the way making that popping sound.
Would that be a consistent sound? like always on acceleration? I have the same sound that he described, but right under my feet on the DS...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts