Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem with an exhaust leak at the manifold on the driver side of the engine. I tore it all down earlier, cleaned the mating faces on the engine and the manifold and installed a new gasket. I had one bolt that was a bit of a problem coming out and it left shavings in the bolt hole of the head. Its the first cylinder from the front and its the long double studded bolt.

Anywho I blew the debris from the hole and ran a thread chaser successfully. I went to advanced, ABC, Auto-zone and Orielly's to see if any of them had the bolt on hand. None of them did to my dismay and the soonest one could be delivered would have been middle of next week. This is my daily driver so I gotta have it before Monday.

Since I couldn't get a replacement bolt I figured I would chase the threads on the old bolt and re-use it. The bolt went in smoothly until I had about 5/16" left to go and it got really hard to turn. Tried to back it out, got 5 turns and now its stuck at the point where if I pull it any harder its gonna break.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks for getting out a bolt that is (for all intent and purpose) misthreaded and now stuck???

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
WD 40 and go back and forth with it carefully. ATF works good too if you've got some lying around

·
Registered
204 Posts
bolt removal

Start it up, let it get hot, then try removing it. I know this is the key to removing O2 sensors, but put some gloves on to protect your hands...

Bratcop

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Start it up, let it get hot, then try removing it. I know this is the key to removing O2 sensors, but put some gloves on to protect your hands...

Bratcop
Or blowtorch it so Don't damage any of the ignition wiring up there

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WD 40 and go back and forth with it carefully. ATF works good too if you've got some lying around
Thankyou sir so very very much. i got the bolt removed. 15 minutes of ratchet rocking and wd-40 and the bolt is out.

thanks again good sir!

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
I'd bet it is an 8mm thread. Most any good hardware stope should have something to help. Even long set screw. Try Ace or True Value but not Lowes or HD. You'd want a grade 5 or 8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts