Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the reason for the notched cross pin? So, that it can be installed/removed from the carrier with thicker gears(4:88's) installed on the carrier or so, it can be turned inside the carrier to allow the axle shaft to be pushed in and C- clips installed/removed.

The reason I ask, is I just had a new set of 4:88's installed with a notched cross pin and was told if I wanted to install my Aussie locker later, that I would have to remove the carrier and ring gear to get the notched cross pin out.

I, ground a gear tooth with the last set and stock cross pin and do not want to grind a tooth on this set, but want to know later that I will be able to get the notched cross pin out or not without removing gears.

Have been reading here and just not sure which of the two reason, or both for the notch in the cross pin.

Just going to say on the last set I lost four teeth on the pinion gear! Mechanic say because of notch in tooth of ring gear, but I have my doubts on that? And, before that I rounded the teeth on one the Aussie lockers axle gear, and after sending it to them they sent me a new one!(Free)

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is the reason for the notched cross pin? So, that it can be installed/removed from the carrier with thicker gears(4:88's) installed on the carrier or so, it can be turned inside the carrier to allow the axle shaft to be pushed in and C- clips installed/removed.

The reason I ask, is I just had a new set of 4:88's installed with a notched cross pin and was told if I wanted to install my Aussie locker later, that I would have to remove the carrier and ring gear to get the notched cross pin out.
The notch is there so that the pin can clear your ring gear to be installed in the carrier.

If you cant remove the cross pin, you arent going to be able to remove your carrier...as the C-clips cant be removed from the axles unless the cross pin is removed first.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Your mechanic is full of crap; grinding a tooth on the ring gear to fit the cross pin is a tried and true method that people have been doing for years with no problems. Besides, if you have the contact patch in the ideal spot the portion of the ring gear tooth that gets ground off is never even touched by the pinion.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The notch is there so that the pin can clear your ring gear to be installed in the carrier.

If you cant remove the cross pin, you arent going to be able to remove your carrier...as the C-clips cant be removed from the axles unless the cross pin is removed first.
I believe turning the notch from one side to the other, also allows you to push the axle in just enough to remove the c-clips, then axles, allowing you to remove carrier.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your mechanic is full of crap; grinding a tooth on the ring gear to fit the cross pin is a tried and true method that people have been doing for years with no problems. Besides, if you have the contact patch in the ideal spot the portion of the ring gear tooth that gets ground off is never even touched by the pinion.

I agree!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe turning the notch from one side to the other, also allows you to push the axle in just enough to remove the c-clips, then axles, allowing you to remove carrier.
That makes sense to me, and I never even considered it. :doh0715:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aussie install

I'm putting an aussie in my 8.8 and don't want to reuse my old worn pin any suggestions on what one to replace it with?

·
Man of endless projects
9,339 Posts
I'm putting an aussie in my 8.8 and don't want to reuse my old worn pin any suggestions on what one to replace it with?
Theres only soo many crosspins available. if you need a notched crosspin then theres this.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32308-8-8-notched-cross-pin-7-8-.html

if you want just a regular crosspin then heres one
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32320S-8-8-x-pin-shaft.html

if you can find a hardened crosspin, that would be best for the aussie locker. they even say to check the crosspin with a file to see if its too soft to use. when I asked them about the use of the notched crosspin tho, they said it would work but they prefer a regular one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts