Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think it's done. It has started shifting hard and the OD light is not flashing. I was thinking of rebuilding it myself. I know someone here has done it. Any suggestions? Where is a good place to buy the parts? I looked here and it cost just over $1300 for parts.
http://www.baumannengineering.com/pricing.htm

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Rebuild kits are usually around $200, but can vary widely. They typically include all of the clutches, steels, and band, along with seals and bushings. Whether this is all that you'll need, you won't know until you knock it down and inspect its internal components.

Before condemning it, have you done the basics like change the fluid and filter, pull codes, and added an external filter and cooling?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
stang did his get with him. ive rebuilt manuals before but never an automatic. do a writeup

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Check for codes. That is the first thing to do.

Mine shifts hard sometimes and I know I have to check out the MPLS.

Hard shifts can mean that it is in "limp mode" because one of the sensors that it relies on is not working (correctly).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
k1w1t1m said:
Check for codes. That is the first thing to do.

Mine shifts hard sometimes and I know I have to check out the MPLS.

Hard shifts can mean that it is in "limp mode" because one of the sensors that it relies on is not working (correctly).
When the E4OD goes into "limp home mode" the OD OFF light on the end of the shift stalk flashes. I thought he said in his first post that the OD was NOT flashing.....??

·
Registered
671 Posts
My 90 lost OD about 40K ago. Then it starting shifting hard, and the OD started working again. I have been wondering how long I can get this trans to last before it pukes its guts onto the highway.

THe cheapest way to get a rebuilt transmission is to buy one from a wrecked truck. If it is relativley clean, and looks ok, run it :p Mine cost $200 :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah i went that way also, junkyard tranny, except i had to do mine twice, because the first one lasted a week before it shit the bed, but junkyard gave me another tranny, and this one has been fine for 4 months now, keeping fingers crossed, i also did a tranny cooler after the first one went, bypassed radiator,

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
den94bronco said:
yeah i went that way also, junkyard tranny, except i had to do mine twice, because the first one lasted a week before it shit the bed, but junkyard gave me another tranny, and this one has been fine for 4 months now, keeping fingers crossed, i also did a tranny cooler after the first one went, bypassed radiator,
Yep, I got mine for about $600 from the junkyard about a year 15-20K miles ago. It started acting up in December of last year, but I think that's due more to the MLPS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.