Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taxes are coming back in a few weeks. The wife has agreed I can buy a Welder. I have a $500 Max budget. In the Garage I had a 50A Breaker installed. Tested and works great with a buddy's 220a welder. Looking for a MIG Welder.

I have welded here and there but far from a professional. Always just read the instructions on the inside panel and got to work.

Work I will be doing will manly be sliders, bumpers (for my Bronco), building go carts, and other hobby toys.

So 1 1/2" - 2" dom and thin to medium thick sheet metal

Something for the weekend worrier but really don't want one that overheats or shuts off quickly(within 3-4 minutes of working).

I know $500 is not a lot for a professional welder but should be able to get me something to work with.

What do yall think about these:

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471413_200471413

They might max out my budget but I will not be welding anything for a few months. That gives me time to get gas, tips, wire, etc.. I already have gloves and helmet.

:beer

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I recommend a big brand name

I have used a few and when my old Hobart blew a diode yrs back I borrowed my buddies cheaper miller and hated it

I recommend to go to a welding supply store and try out the ones you may be interested

there are some nice mig/tig combo units too

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
I've been happy with the Hobart Handler 175 I have. You need to allow for a Argon/Co2 tank also.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Hobart makes a good mig welder, basically a miller. (same company) If it were me I would find a good used one. You could find one for about half the price and be able to buy some consumables. Tips, wire, mig pliers, etc. Another thing, I would not buy a 110 welder. Buy one that is 220, it will have a better duty cycle and weld way better. If you are dead set on a 110 welder then it doesn't really matter what brand. I have been around a few of the small lincolns and they seem fine.

Best thing I can tell you is 220 is better and don't snub your nose towards a used machine. I run a 1960's ideal arc and it runs basically any welding rod, mig/fluxcore box and tig rig I want. The only thing I cant weld with it is tig aluminum, you need high frequency for that. Something I plan to get later down the road when I have about $10-15k laying around for a great machine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'd recommend a Lincoln Weld-Pak. Mine is old enough to vote this year, and still running strong. It's just out of your budget, but worth the stretch, IMHO...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-180-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2515-1/100670932

Definitely get a 220 welder, and definitely get one you can run with gas.

The one you posted from Eastwood with the spool gun looks like a great deal, and has good reviews. Eastwood seems to be really good on warranty stuff as well. Between the two you posted, I would go for the that one. I came this >< close to buying their TIG welder, but went with AHP's for the better feature set.

Edit - my $.02 on used welders... yes you can get parts for them, but if they're out of warranty, a major problem will cost you more than the machine is worth, and more than a new 'cheaper' welder. They can be a great deal, but buyer beware... do your research. As an example, I bought a used Lincoln plasma cutter a while back, and had to replace a couple of parts. While looking through the parts prices, I discovered the main circuit board was a $1200 part, almost what the whole unit sold for new!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Taxes are coming back in a few weeks. The wife has agreed I can buy a Welder. I have a $500 Max budget. In the Garage I had a 50A Breaker installed. Tested and works great with a buddy's 220a welder. Looking for a MIG Welder.

I have welded here and there but far from a professional. Always just read the instructions on the inside panel and got to work.

Work I will be doing will manly be sliders, bumpers (for my Bronco), building go carts, and other hobby toys.

So 1 1/2" - 2" dom and thin to medium thick sheet metal

Something for the weekend worrier but really don't want one that overheats or shuts off quickly(within 3-4 minutes of working).

I know $500 is not a lot for a professional welder but should be able to get me something to work with.

What do yall think about these:

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200471413_200471413

They might max out my budget but I will not be welding anything for a few months. That gives me time to get gas, tips, wire, etc.. I already have gloves and helmet.

:beer

The Hobart is made in the US. what about eastwood? What about their warranty? the eastwood is a 210, vs. 120v Hobart, but I have a Hobart like others have said, love it. Learned how to weld with it, no classes. I have the 175 they used to make. The hobart has never had one issue. It also uses a Miller hand feed (or at least mine does). Very good unit that like other people have said, you can't go wrong. If you have the 220, it would be nice to get a unit that can use this, and then you can weld the thicker steel.

·
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All great advice! Sounds like I want to lean toward the 220 side so I get longer duty cycle out of it. Defiantly did not want to get a cheap brand like one from Harbor Freight. But know I only have $500.

Northern tools are always running a sale on welders. Hopefully they will have something when money comes in.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
The nice thing is even if you were to buy a Hobart used you could still get parts for it should it have any issues.

I've used a couple 110v welders over the years and they can do good work, Duty cycle in the home garage is not as large of an issue as it would be if you were trying to make a living with the same machine. I have a Snap On MB120 that I bought new in the 95' and I keep around just in case I need a little machine to run off a generator. I actually added a fan to cool the internals down to keep the thermocouple on the transformer from cycling out so fast and improved it's duty cycle a little bit. Lincoln made a decent 110v machine from what I remember also back then and I was a little upset I bought the Snap On after I found the Lincoln on sale for the same price with the larger spool capacity. Looking back the Lincoln would have been a better choice since the parts for the European made Snap on are non existent nowadays. My little 110 has been a lot of places and layed a lot of weld in 20yrs.

·
I'd rather be sleeping
665 Posts
Keep an eye on Tractor Supply. The often have sales on Hobart welders. I picked up a Handler 190 220v last year for $550.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd say get the eastwood one of my friends has one and it's a great welder even on aluminum. It'll do any thing from body panels to 3/8" without a problem. Hobart's are also good welders, but the eastwood coming with a spool gun and being 220v makes it a much better deal. Just so it's known I weld for a living and have plenty of experience with different machines, normally I'm a miller guy but on a budget the eastwood kicks a$$.

As a side note while welding up to 1/4" with a 120 volt welder is possible it takes experience and knowledge that you don't sound to have yet. IMHO :shrug

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought a used miller 180 with the autoset last year, it was almost new with even one and half year of warranty left.
I'm on my third 10lbs spool, solid and dual shield wire, both with 75/25 arco2 mix.

Hobart are bassically a miller with the tapped voltage, miller are infinite.
Marc

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,057 Posts
I have a hobart also, mine is the 220MVP machine, so you can run it on a normal outlet or 230 volt. I like this one as its small enough I can take it when I go somewhere as a back up with flux core wire.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought a used miller 180 with the autoset last year, it was almost new with even one and half year of warranty left.
I'm on my third 10lbs spool, solid and dual shield wire, both with 75/25 arco2 mix.

Hobart are bassically a miller with the tapped voltage, miller are infinite.
Marc
I bought a used lincoln 180hd for $500 with bottle, reg, cart and wire off of CL, after looking for 2 months. It was in brand new condition, the guy had only done a few test weld with it. I have had a lincoln 110 mig for over 20 years now and it has worked the whole time I've owned it. It has help me do work on every one of my rigs I've owed. I did replace the whip and ground clamp on it 5 years ago, basically a partial rebuild on it. But other than that, it has been working for over 20+ years now . The only reason I needed to upgrade to a 220 welder was because of the weight of the bronco and the need for thicker steal for the upgrades i did on it.I also wanted the increases duty cycle to finish jobs in a timely manner, not waiting on the welder to cool down. I use a Miller at work and like it also, I think as long as you stick with one of the big name 220 welders you'll do fine and not have to worry about a warranty if you don't buy new.

·
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So looks like I want to stick with a 220V.

Eastwood has a kit deal right now with that 175

Off the site:

Details
Eastwood's MIG 175 Welder Kit with Cart,and Spool Gun: "high-end" features at a DIY price! As a professional or weekend enthusiast, with this welding kit you can now get industrial-quality features in a hard-workin', affordable, MIG welder! Our R&D guys designed the Eastwood MIG 175 Welder (12012) for steel and aluminum to produce excellent bead quality and capabilities that match—and even exceed—the more expensive competition! Helmet not included.
Welds mild and stainless steel, 24-ga. to 5/16"
Welds aluminum, 14-ga. to 1/4"
30-175-amp welding range
FREE spool gun ($199.99 value!)
Includes a 3-shelf welding cart (20232)