Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap my BW 1356 t case for a np 205. The engine and trans are 460, c6 combo. I am reading some info that the 205 needs to be off a big block also. Is this true? Can I just get any 205 case and throw it on. I am building a dedicated off road rig with 40 to 44 inch tires. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
Any Ford drop 205 will work, provided the case is from a direct mount and not remote.
A 205 does not know whether it is behind a 6 cylinder or a 460. The same 6 bolt pattern is common for all fords regardless.
You will have to make sure that you have the "long" transfer case adapter if you intend to run a u-joint in the 1350 or larger range. If run the short adapter and (output shaft) you will not have enough clearance and the joint will hit the trans pan.

If you use a later model dana 60 axle like an 86 to 97 D60F, you will also have to deal with a slight compound bend, but this does little to contribute to vibration when 4wd is engaged.

This is a good time to "twin Stick" the case. Easy modification but has to be done with the case on the bench.

Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. What vehicle can I pull the cast steel adapter off of for the weight issue of these cases. Also any good links to twin sticking these 205s.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
You'll want to adapt the NP205 frame bracket to your frame to help with the weight issue as well, so make sure you grab those whenever you pick it up.

Heres a pic of mine from the rear of the Tcase. I still need to add some gussets and stuff, but you get the idea.

As for the twin stick write up, just type in "NP205 twin stick conversion" into Google, and youll get more write ups than you can shake a stick at.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts