Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my chain in my t-case is getting really noisy 88 302 M50D. So I am thinking about just swapping the whole t-case out with a 205. My questions are will a 205 from any vehicle work? Or do I need a Ford specific one? Also I am planning on finding a wrecked one ton and robbing the 460 and ZF out of it. Will the 205 bolt up to the ZF? Man now that I think about it will it bolt up to a M50D?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The ford 205 will bolt up for sure but I am not sure how the shifter will hook up. I have a 205 behind a ZF which is behind a 460 and I had to shorten the shifter rod from the t case shifter to the case.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
In theory, all Ford T-cases will bolt behind all Ford trannys during the years of our Bronco's, 78-96. It's not a straight in swap, though. The tcase will bolt up, but you need to notch the tranny adapter to fit the shift rails, you'll need a NP205 shifter, or balance bar (between the shift rails) at a minimum, and you'll need to modify both drive shafts. You'll also need to add the torque mount on the drivers-side frame rail.

Most Dodge or Chevy 205's use a different mounting pattern at the tranny adapter, and they're all passenger drop so you couldn't hook up the front axle anyway.

One other thing to remember is that the 205 only has a 1.96:1 low range compared to the 2.7 you have now. It would be a great street swap, but if you four wheel a lot, it could be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts