Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an NP-435 attached to a 400 I bought. Engine is locked, but I can shift tranny into each gear and when I do the tail shaft gets locked, so I’m assuming the tranny doesn’t have a seriously fatal flaw.

I don’t plan on keeping it as I would go 5 speed if ever swapped to a manual. I see what I think are some stupidly high eBay prices for used trannies or parts like shift towers. Anyone have experience in the used NP-435 market? What’s reasonable for a used tranny as a core and one of assumed functionality? It did come from a 2wd F-350, like a 77 or so according to seller.

Thanks for any info you can post up.

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT, 351W / ZF5 (under construction) 1996 F150 XLT, 351W/E4OD, D44 SAS
1,203 Posts
I paid $100 for an NP435 a couple years ago. Everything on eBay is overpriced.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
The one I bought out of the JY here cost me a couple hundred I believe. Like most things car/truck related, it probably depends on your location as far as what things go for. That and how badly someone needs the part.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
837 Posts
The 2wd ones used to be worth more cause the Early Bronco guys used them, they are easy to adapt to a Dana 20. Last 2wd one I sold I think I got $400 for with the adapter that goes to a Dana 20. Interest in them them seems to be dropping off, they are building less EB crawlers these days.....

·
Ford Hoarder
I own a bunch of Broncos 10 or so . Lol
1,502 Posts
The 2wd ones used to be worth more cause the Early Bronco guys used them, they are easy to adapt to a Dana 20. Last 2wd one I sold I think I got $400 for with the adapter that goes to a Dana 20. Interest in them them seems to be dropping off, they are building less EB crawlers these days.....
That's because Eb's are so dam high . Lol

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,810 Posts
I paid $100 for mine complete with the adaptor for the d-20. I did see others around for more at the time. One was cheaper, but it turned out to be from a dodge, which has a very different input shaft.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks group. I was thinking if I could squeeze $100 I’d be happy. After I perused eBay I thought I was either sitting on a gold mine (unlikely) or stupid high internet prices (very likely).

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,999 Posts
I'd ask 250. Reason being is a trans is about 120 bucks at the junkyard, if you pull it yourself. They dont have to even get dirty. It also gives you some bargaining room.

Keep in mind that some 70s fords had divorced transfer cases, which used a 2wd transmission and a jackshaft.

The np435 will always be a desired trans because they are economical, strong, and highly adaptable, since they have a removable bellhousing. The downside, and why they arent high priced, is because they are everywhere and were made forever.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,810 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks group.

I was able to get the tranny pulled off the engine today. All appears well with it. Has the sort of input to output shaft relationship the ratios indicate. I’m hoping to get it waterblasted and cleaned up this coming week.

Bad news - the “400” I thought I bought turned out to be a 351(n)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sold the tranny to a guy via Marketplace for $150. Had to remind him I was $150 lighter than I should have been as he was saying goodbye, so hope it wasn’t one of you four folks reading this thread. But thanks for the price feedback, actually squeezed $50 more than I was expecting, and I have one less chunk of iron I can’t do anything with in the garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts