Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My output seals are leaking(both) so I need to fix them... After I remove the yoke, is there a crush washer or anything like on the rear diff that I need to worry about or is it a simple swap??? Also there is about 1/8th in play up and down on the rear output. Should I do bearings also and do I need to remove and split the case to do this. I've got a spare 205, so if this is gonna be more than a simple in the truck fix I figured I'd just start rebuilding the spare and then swap it in.... I just don't have the cash for anything more than a quicky right now....

Fog

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
There is no crush washer in the 205. Just pull the old seal out and in with the new. I put some grease on the lip of the seal just to prevent seal burn. As for the play in the bearings, is it a total of an 1/8" play or 1/8" up and an 1/8" down? There will be some play in the bearings and shaft, but 1/8" sounds a bit much to me. To change the bearings out will require a hydraulic press in order to remove and reinstall the bearings.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ziggy.... Yea it's just about a 1/8 total... I was just being paranoid as usual.... I'll go ahead and swap the seals out and rebuild the spare later-------Thanks again----Fog

·
Premium Member
14,615 Posts
Ziggy said:
To change the bearings out will require a hydraulic press in order to remove and reinstall the bearings.
none of the bearings in the 205 are pressed in they're retained by a snap ring and the others are needle bearings. fog there isnt a crush sleeve but make sure you torque the yokes down to 150 ft.lbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts