Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna put on this gasket and curious which method you all use. I know there are so many methods talked about here. Some use RTV Ultra Black with no gasket at all and others use a gasket tack glue to hold it in place then a thin layer of RTV on top of the gasket and also some on the matting surface, Just curious if there is a definitive way to Ido. it?..... Thanks!

Asphalt Font Circle Road surface Automotive tire

· Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,783 Posts
I meant what that surfaces look like on YOUR 2 parts. Putting old stuff together sometimes just a gasket isnt gonna cut it. Really depends if the surface is pitted or otherwise messed up.
Yours is likely nicer then most. Id likely do the gasket plus a very light skim coat of sealer. The more pitted it is the more sealer I would use. Tho I have put this particular spot together with just sealer too, I used hondabond (its made to be used in oil applications).
Basically what I am saying is gotta make an on the spot judgement call when you see the 2 parts apart.

· Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning I got the pinion cartridge removed from the rear end. It came out pretty easy. I used a small thin screwdriver to slowly get it separated and it popped out. I did scratch up the pinion depth shim in one spot so I'll need to replace it. I did measure the shim thickness and got an average which is .0100 to .0105. Got a couple of questions for re-assembly.....

Since the pinion cartridge came out in one unit with the oil seal still in place, I will take a rotational torque measurement to see what it is ( will be interesting what it reads ). When I put on a new seal and shim is it ok to torque back to this original measurement? or should I just follow the used bearing spec of 8-15 inch pounds?

Regarding replacing the pinion depth shim, Is there much of a difference between these two measurements .0100 and .0105. or how critical is this?

Hat Automotive tire Gas Idiophone Engineering
Automotive tire Yellow Bumper Tool Wood
Water Sculpture Gesture Art Grass

· Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.... I got 2NM rotational torque which equals about 17 inch pounds which I think is on target for the stock setup?
Not sure why the dial starts at one?...it is a cheapo.....
Watch Scale Measuring instrument Barometer Gauge

1 - 12 of 12 Posts