Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Portland Oregon, where the weather is finally nice.

I just purchased a 78 Bronco with a 400/C6/NP203. The 203 is very hard to get in and out of 4hi & 4low & is very loud. I have a spare NP205 that I am wanting to put in this thing. I also have a freshly rebuilt C6, however, it is for a 2wd truck. :(

I have already excepted that I will have to tear down the fresh C6 and change out the tail shaft to the one that is long enough for the NP205, & that I will have to get my drive lines lengthened, or get drivelines from the JU.

Other than that, what else could I run into that might be a problem? I'm not sure how the NP205 mounts in and I know I will probably have to get different mounts and or cross members.

I have been looking for a writeup for this, but all I ever find is bits and pieces of information that sometimes contradicts other info.

What I would like is a parts list that I need to get, and maybe a few pointers, & if there is anyone around the Portland metro area that has done this before I would be willing to pay $$$ for any help you could offer.

-Nick

·
Registered
527 Posts
A long adapter and output shaft is desirable if the case is going behind the C6 trans. This is because the automatic transmission pan will limit clearance of the drive shaft for any u-joint larger than a 1330, if you use a short adapter.

Your frame already has bolt holes to accommodate the x-member and mount for the 205, but you will need the bracket and rubber / poly mount.

You will also require a different shifter, but this is available from the salvage yards, and should you decide that a twin stick option is for you, you should make this upgrade while the case is out.

You already know about the driveshaft lengths and speedo cable gear, blah, blah, blah, so the rest is just about getting dirty and changing the case.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could simply just rebuild the shifter on the 203 more then likely the last time it seen grease was at the factory
I thought about that, but the case needs to be overhauled. The rear output leaks and the bearing is shot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
here are the number on the longer shaft:

4x4
18-1/2"
FD-C6F-5L-001W-G2

N25A-34A-36A-31A
77-81 4x4
No threads
Married applications
Ford OUTPUT SHAFT D7TZ-7060-B