Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I put my truck in reverse, the backup lights no longer come on. As I understand it, my NSS is most likely out of adjustment. I crawled up under my truck earlier and noticed the lever that's bolted to the NSS is loose. By loose, I mean I could move it up and down no problem. My question is if this is a sign that the NSS is bad or is this how its suppose to operate. My truck is a 1978 w/ 351M & C6 if it matters.

·
OMF
2,976 Posts
Manual or Auto?

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Lever is the tranny kick down, there should be a rod connecting it to the carb. Rod connection kicks the tranny into a lower gear when you mash on the gas. If NSS is out of adjustment, you might also have problems starting the vehicle unless you monkey with the shifter. NSS might still be bad for just the reverse lights, any adjustment you make to the switch will affect whether it you will be able to start the truck in park or neutral. I would guess and say that you need a new NSS.

·
Super Moderator
30,908 Posts
yo,

Wiring Diagram in a 79
Source: by Chilton @ http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8576/images/85766104l.gif
See Back-Up Switch in Lower right; Check wiring
W/Pink from fuse to sw; from sw to lamp is Red/Blue

Ranger 429 wrote; "...It might just be that it needs an adjustment to get the reverse lights to work. Ther is an alignment hole on the side where an 1/8" drill bit will go. Loosen the 2 bolts and realign it..."

Adjustment in a 79 C6; "...straight from all data...should be the same for the 78; Place transmission manual lever in neutral position, then insert a .091 inch gauge pin through gauge pin holes, Fig. 8. Tighten switch attaching bolts, then remove gauge pin. Install outer downshift lever and retaining nut. Install downshift linkage rod return spring between lever and retaining clip on low-reverse servo cover. Reconnect electrical connectors, then check operation of switch..." see diagram
Source: by Tim O (RED WAGON, redwagon) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149087

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.