Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1994 Bronco this weekend. The owner claims there were 3 keys for the truck, one door key, one for ignition and one for the rear window.

I have had a 1987 and currently have a 1995. Neither of them used 3 keys.....both used same key for door and ignition.

I'm thinkin' something's fishy here.........

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
+Well that is silly. The guy gave him all three keys. Nothing wrong with that. It is like any other purchase. You never know youre getting them all.

As for the extra, Im with the guys above. Either the ignition or the door locks have been changed. I've done both on the bronco. So not really uncommon at all.

·
Registered
604 Posts
apollo said:
My '91 has two. Round for doors and rear window, and square for ignition.
Same on my 1991

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well.....as way of report....I got to the bottom of the mystery me thinks.

I took it to a trusted locksmith. He surmised that a prior owner had a key break off in the ignition so the cylinder had been replaced. This matches up with the guy I bought it from telling me he had a new door key made as the old one was about to break...apparently it was coded with a deep cut that made it weak if cut on both sides of the key. The only catch is it only works in the door if the key is inserted with the door cuts pointed down and in the ignition if the ignition cuts are pointed up....go figger.

For your information....this may be regurg for most.....the ignition cuts are towards the tip of the key and the door cuts are farther back towards where you hold the key. The solution for me was one key with ignition cuts on one side (top) and door cuts on the other (bottom) so I have a single key for the door and ignition but without the deep cuts on both sides so its not weak and prone to breaking.

Anyhoo.....what an adventure. Well worth the $15 fix. maybe later I'll have him pull the door cylinders and redo the coding so that the cuts don't make the key weak and I can have a single key that works regardless of how I stick it in the keyhole......

·
Registered
580 Posts
late to the game here, but the previous owner of my bronco had the ignition cylinder changed, so my bronco came with three keys.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,013 Posts
jorjen said:
For your information....this may be regurg for most.....the ignition cuts are towards the tip of the key and the door cuts are farther back towards where you hold the key. The solution for me was one key with ignition cuts on one side (top) and door cuts on the other (bottom) so I have a single key for the door and ignition but without the deep cuts on both sides so its not weak and prone to breaking.
that's good to know.... if you knew where the exact cutoff was maybe you could make one that you didn't have to flip over.... prob have to have an insider that made keys or the place might get tired of seeing you come in with guesses:toothless

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.