Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I've realized that sometimes fixing one thing leads to another. Maybe this is the case this time, maybe not. I just rebuilt the rear end in my 1996 XLT due to a loose pinion nut. After all initial tests and three days of running it with no issues (with the rear end) I happened to notice on Monday morning as well as this very morning, the overdrive "OFF" indicator flashing on the gear shifter column. On Monday, it was after I was under normal power for a decent amount of time, probably 15 or 20 minutes. I noticed it because the truck started to shift much harder and I thought it was a problem with my recently repaired rear end. Got to a gas station, shut the truck off, filled it up, and then continued on my way to work with no overdrive light flashing and no shift issues. Something had reset when I shut it off I am guessing. Drove it the rest of the way to work and then home with no issue. Yesterday, drove to work and back with no issue. This morning, after the first 20 minutes, about 10 minutes from work, it did it again. Drove it easy the rest of the way and shut it off in the parking lot here at work (it was still blinking). Fired it back up and again, something had reset as it acted normal and allowed me to activate and shut off overdrive with the button on the gear shifter. Any ideas or solutions from this vast knowledgeable group?

Attachments

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
any check engine light?

when driving is the speedometer steady or does the needle bounce?

might have to take it to AAMCO or tranny shop to have them scan it with a special scanner to find out what exactly is causing the OD light to flash. a normal OBD-II scanner wont find a problem and they usually have a special scanner that can detect why the light is flashing. I had to take mine there to find a bad pressure regulator in the solenoid pack of mine

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo islandhopper;
Here are some of the typical OBD II Codes for our 96s;
just see the 4 digit codes that begin with P

from 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

See Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
to understand the tests when you take the Bronco in for a free Scan at many parts stores as Kingfish advised. Not all the steps will be used for most aftermarket Scanners.
Do not buy any parts yet; post Code(s) found here.

On-Board Diagnostics with New Generation Star (NGS) Tester or equivalent must be used on EEC-V equipped vehicles in order to properly retrieve four-digit DTCs.

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
it will read codes if there is a code. but if theres certain conditions it wont throw a code and the O/D light will flash to indicate a problem. the only places I have seen that have the ability to find those have like a $+2k scanner.

my work van has had randomly appearing flashing O/D light for the last 40k miles but never threw a code for it. there isnt enough line pressure at certain points. as I said my tranny had a bad pressure regulator and would make it flash but not throw a code

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
Then look at the $20 one I linked.If the TCIL or CEL flashes, there are codes.
its been discontinued

I would bet ya 50$ that if I order that, cut the wire going to my pressure regulator on my tranny or used it on my van. it will not show a code, the CEL will not light up but the TCIL will flash. the reason I say that wire is cause I know where it is and need to rerepair it anyways. then go to AAMCO they would tell me exactly what was wrong with there scanner. I don't remember what model scanner is was but I know it was like 2-4k$.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**Update**
I took Steve83's advice and bought an Autel MS310 code reader off of Amazon and as I suspected, it was unable to read any codes, which is a good thing, but it gives me no direction to go in as to why the overdrive light flashed those two times. I've driven it pretty much daily since then under normal conditions and it has not happened again either. There is no check engine light (I do however have an ABS light on the dash but thats for another thread.) on the dash. Can I change in out my solenoid or pressure regulator on my own? Anyone think that will fix my problem?

Thanks,
Roy

·
Man of endless projects
9,286 Posts
I would still take it to a tranny shop and have them use there scanner which should tell you if it is something with the solenoid pack or not. no need to replace a kinda expensive pack on just a hunch. there could be something else internally wrong with it suck as stuck valves or broken springs or something more internal that requires a rebuild

the solenoid pack isn't too hard to fix and you can find them on ebay for 200-250 new. you need to get the 95-97 year pack. I think they sell the regulator and solenoids individually but it really isn't worth trying it that way. I get a valvebody gasket just incase cause it can tear really easy when you pull the pack off. I think you need the 96-97 year gasket but you need to make sure its right with the old gasket before installing. the tranny shop I got my gaskets from gave me the wrong gasket and not my reverse is toast

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had this happen to me one time and i had a fuse blown i would recommend checking those first. Also had a buddys f150 do the same thing when his torque converter failed.

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts
yo,
Our 96 had the a randomly flashing transmission control indicator lamp (aka OD LED) . Normally, the TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing). It was caused by a short at steering column;
Erratic/Hard Shifting Due to Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 in 94-95 Bronco & Trucks (Also happened in our 96 w/E4OD); Miesk5 NOTE; See: C. & D. Erratic/Hard Shifting 4 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall
Source: by Ford via http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=41117

You can wait it out or try what Ford describes as the wiggle test

Key On Engine Off Wiggle Test Procedure
1. Hook up Scan Tool.
2.Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
3. For Scan Tool, enter Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM), then enter wiggle DTM.
4.Tap, move, and wiggle the suspect sensor and/or harness. When a fault is detected, a Continuous Memory DTC will be stored in memory and indicated as follows:
•Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL)
•Message Center (Continental Only)
•Scan Tool: Continuous Tone

Engine Running Wiggle Test Procedure
Special Note:
•The Engine Running Wiggle Test may be activated any time the engine is running.
1.Hook up Scan Tool as shown.
2.Key off.
3.Start the engine.
4.For For Scan Tool, enter DTM, then enter wiggle DTM.
5.Tap, move, and wiggle the suspect sensor and/or harness or drive the vehicle. When a fault is detected, a Continuous Memory DTC will be stored in memory and indicated as follows:
•Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL)
•Message Center (Continental Only)
•Scan Tool: Beeps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts