Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Sanden AC compressor for OBA in the air pumps old location. I have researched a lot of info on it but I have a question about pressure switches. Most of the OBA set ups that I have read about use one of the rather large pressure switches that you would find on a large compressor or a home water pressure tank. Are they used because they are adjustable? Couldn't I use one of these?

Product Circuit component Technology Electronic component Cable

This is a 120-150 switch for air horns. It is significantly smaller and I'm trying to figure out why I haven't seen one used for OBA. I am no electrical wizz so I always pause when it comes to wiring.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,297 Posts
I’ve always used one of those exact style switches. I run them through a relay, I wouldn’t send power through that switch. Just have signal come through that switch to trigger the relay

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks for the replies.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,355 Posts
Im using one of those Viair sealed switches.

The kind the OP was refering to are the ones you find on portable air compressors: a 2x2x3 black box with a lever on the side. They work, but are not the best method.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bill. I figured you would point me in the right direction. My intent is to get as much squared away as I can before the body is in the way.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the air dryer? I was considering an auto draining dryer I could mount under the body after 2-3 feet of high temp, high pressure line. This is what I was looking at.

I'm trying to keep my engine bay clean as possible. I will be running a greased Sanden 508 in the air pump spot. I was thinking of running a line down the passenger frame rail to a undetermined spot for which I have a 4 gallon hot dog tank from an air ride. If I could mount the filter on the frame in between, it would be out of sight and self draining to the ground. I don't expect to use the air much as there aren't many places near me to require the lockers or airing down the tires. It will be for trips to the beach and Moab and such. Opinions? Might as well add check valve recommendations while we are at it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,330 Posts
I ran one of the cheap filters off my tank output for a while, and no hint of oil or water accumulated, so I ditched it to simplify hose storage. 1) My York doesn't seem to lose any oil, and 2) how many people put a moisture filter on a garage compressor for airing up tires?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I ran one of the cheap filters off my tank output for a while, and no hint of oil or water accumulated, so I ditched it to simplify hose storage. 1) My York doesn't seem to lose any oil, and 2) how many people put a moisture filter on a garage compressor for airing up tires?
I always run an air drier on any compressed air system... garage or on the rig. Moisture is the number one killer of pneumatic tools and air lockers.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree if I was just using it for the tires but don't want to chance injecting water in my diff. Every compressor I have produces a significant about of water even now when it's low humidity and 30 degrees. I have a big separator on my big compressor and it was 1/4 full after I blasted the interior yesterday.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,330 Posts
I didn't think about lockers.

I've owned several oil-less [home] compressors and have never gotten any moisture when using the spray nozzle attachment on any of them. Oily water comes out of the bottom drain when opening it, but I've never had it rise to the outlet. Never anything collected in the air/oil filter when used, either. Better safe than sorry, I suppose, but I've yet to see any evidence of it being a concern. I'm not sure why other peoples' experiences would differ so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts