Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i wanted to get a scan gauge to atleast have the mpg tracking but when i saw the truck im looking to buy its a 93 bronco so no obd2 , is there any other way or any other obd monitor to get a good mpg read out or something ......
thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
So i wanted to get a scan gauge to atleast have the mpg tracking but when i saw the truck im looking to buy its a 93 bronco so no obd2 , is there any other way or any other obd monitor to get a good mpg read out or something ......
thanks
manually track it gas bought(gallons) by miles driven... if you get 14 mpg or more....outstanding if you are driving a bronco with a 5.0 engine then by all means do the six liter tune explaned/discussed here on this board... if its a 5.8 just tune it & keep your foot off the gas..... NO FAST STARTS/STOPS

·
Registered
858 Posts
Nothing is easily available out of OBD-1 systems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
manually track it gas bought(gallons) by miles driven... if you get 14 mpg or more....outstanding if you are driving a bronco with a 5.0 engine then by all means do the six liter tune explaned/discussed here on this board... if its a 5.8 just tune it & keep your foot off the gas..... NO FAST STARTS/STOPS
i wanted to see if there was something to help with the gas pedal so i can calmly use it and not worry about it, there was something but its only for newer cars where you plug it in and lets you choose fast or slow acceleration response

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
i wanted to see if there was something to help with the gas pedal so i can calmly use it and not worry about it, there was something but its only for newer cars where you plug it in and lets you choose fast or slow acceleration response
The gas pedal is mechanically connected to the throttle plates, it's NOT a potentiometer connected to the pedal which is connected to the PCM. If your right foot is too heavy, put a 2x4 under the gas pedal so you can't push it to the floor.

Reactions: packagerjr

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gas pedal is mechanically connected to the throttle plates, it's NOT a potentiometer connected to the pedal which is connected to the PCM. If your right foot is too heavy, put a 2x4 under the gas pedal so you can't push it to the floor.
HAHAHAHA yeah your right, some one posted in a article to use a vaccum gauge to help monitor with that, thou i dnt want to start hacking up and re routing vacum gauges

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,631 Posts
HAHAHAHA yeah your right, some one posted in a article to use a vaccum gauge to help monitor with that, thou i dnt want to start hacking up and re routing vacum gauges
I was about to suggest a vacuum gauge. Pretty easy install, and it's probably the best feedback you're going to get. All you need is a tee in a vacuum line, or one of the barbs on the vacuum tree if available.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I bought a fuel injection book by Probst for my 460 swap. In it he has a anecdote on fuel mileage. Said BMW disproved that the notion to "drive like an egg was between your foot and the accelerator" from the '70s fuel shortage was helpful. The best strategy is generally to get to cruise ASAP while staying out of WOT operation. So he recommends accelerating briskly to the cruise speed.

A vacuum gauge is a good idea if you want to know about throttle position. It's essentially how a large chunk of Broncos control fuel delivery. I have one tied directly into the manifold for underhood troubleshooting, but one could be brought into the cab pretty easily.

Gas mileage will not be good regardless of what you do or monitor. Aerodynamics were an afterthought and the newest of us are still near 30 years behind in technology. It is what it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome!!!! thanks guys ! :) ill check on vacum gauges and also i saw jet has a monitor to check the throttle position sensor and you wire it to the TPS and MAP but im not sure if this year has a TPS

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I bought a fuel injection book by Probst for my 460 swap. In it he has a anecdote on fuel mileage. Said BMW disproved that the notion to "drive like an egg was between your foot and the accelerator" from the '70s fuel shortage was helpful. The best strategy is generally to get to cruise ASAP while staying out of WOT operation. So he recommends accelerating briskly to the cruise speed.
That reminds me of the old Top Gear episode where a BMW M3 got better mpg's than a Prius head-to-head ... on the track, where the Prius was maxed out the whole time.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Tying into the TPS and MAP wiring sounds like significantly more work than adding a vacuum tee. We're talking a few hours vs a few seconds. Are there advantages to offset the extra, and more intrusive, work?

·
Registered
623 Posts

A vacuum gauge is a good idea if you want to know about throttle position. It's essentially how a large chunk of Broncos control fuel delivery. I have one tied directly into the manifold for underhood troubleshooting, but one could be brought into the cab pretty easily.

Gas mileage will not be good regardless of what you do or monitor. Aerodynamics were an afterthought and the newest of us are still near 30 years behind in technology. It is what it is.
for a carb'd motor, you'd want to accelerate fast enough that your secondaries don't kick in, could just tune back the secondaries a little

1 - 14 of 14 Posts