Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and thanks in advance!

I have a 94 (stock) 302 eb edition bronco. new build transmission installed when purchased.
I have had these codes on there since i purchased it about 4 months ago but its no my dd. I just got my death wobble situation sorted out ,so i'm getting around to fixing these issues now.

these code came up before but are GONE now:
code 636-Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor Voltage Out Of Self Test Range (didnt do anything just didnt come back)
code 327-Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Position Pressure Feedback Lower Than Minimum Volt (i changed the egr and sensor)

I'm gettin these codes reoccuring : in this order from the reader
code 11-System Pass (which i thought was good)
code 10-Cylinder 1 Contribution Or Balance Malfunction( i haven't seen this on the forum)
code 212-Loss Of Ignition Diagnostic Monitor Input To Powertrain Control Module SLASH Spark Output Circuit Grounded
code 332-Insufficient Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Detected
code 452-Insufficient Vehicle Speed Sensor Input (sometimes hard shifting but smooth 98% of the time very random) my speedo works all the time even when hard shifting happens.

parts changed egr and sensor,distrib. cap and button

Where would be the 1st place to start here ?

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,444 Posts
How does it run? Is it running, idling rough, loss of power, no top end power, will not stay running, running rich, etc ? Just trying to get more back history.

When did you start getting these codes before or after you replaced the Distributor?

·
Super Moderator
26,017 Posts
yo d,
You should see just 3 digit codes;
yo,
DTC 212; "...IDM is a feedback signal generated by the ignition system and is monitored at pin #4 of the ECM. Its purpose is to diagnose missed ignition primary pulses at the time the ECM commands the Spout signal to fire the coil. Since it is used solely for diagnostic purposes, if this circuit is not operating properly, it will not affect vehicle driveability; & by Seattle FSB- The Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) signal is a diagnostic signal for the PCM to to verify a coil firing for each PIP signal. If an erratic or missing IDM signal is received, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC 212) is set. An occasional IDM signal may not affect drivability, but can still throw a trouble code. As SigEpBlue has stated, check for an intermittent ground on the spOUT and/or IDM circuit. Also, ensure that you have the correct Ignition Control Module (ICM) and it is wired correctly to the PCM..." miesk5 NOTE; use BLACK modules in 1994-1996 Broncos
Source: by SMP via SigEpBlue (Steve) & by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127508

DTC 212 (Ignition module circuit failure-SPOUT circuit grounded); "...Check to see if the spout connector is good by running a piece of wire where the connector is supposed to go. If that doesn't help any try checking the wiring all the way until it goes into the connectors..."
Source: by NoSlow5oh

332 - Insufficient EGR flow detected; "Atop the EGR valve there is a sensor called the EVP (EGR Valve Position) sensor. It detects movement of the pintle iside the EGR valve. You can apply vacuum to the vacuum barb on the EGR valve and observe through the holes in the casting whether the valve is moving or not. It may just be dirty which requires some careful scrubbing and NO SOLVENTS. Otherwise, if the EGR valve is functioning and moving when vacuum is applied, the EVP sensor is suspect and the electrical connections to it should be checked first. (Computer needs to know the EGR valve position for emissions control)."
Source: by greystreak92

Testing; "...Using the Haynes manual's procedures, you should be able to back-probe the EVP line and ascertain whether the EVP voltage is correct. It should be below 0.67V @ zero vacuum on the EGR, slowly increasing with applied vacuum from a hand pump. DO NOT apply more than 10 in-Hg to the valve..."
Source: by SigEpBlue

We have run into many situations where
a code for insufficient flow has been set and the
system is functioning correctly. Then it is time
to check the EGR passages. There is a Ford
Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 96-23-4) that
addresses this for some vehicles. This TSB
includes:
1992-1995 Crown Victoria
1994-1995 Thunderbird
1991-1995 Town Car
1992-1995 Grand Marquis
1994-1995 Cougar
DTC 332, P1407 and P1408 or detonation; "...We have run into many situations where a code for insufficient flow has been set and the system is functioning correctly. Then it is time to check the EGR passages. There is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 96-23-4) that addresses this for some vehicles. This TSB includes: 1992-1995 Crown Victoria 1994-1995 Thunderbird 1991-1995 Town Car 1992-1995 Grand Marquis 1994-1995 Cougar The concerns have to do with intermittent MILs; DTCs 332, P1407 and P1408; or detonation. If exercising the EGR valve does not result in a change in rpm, then the passages may be clogged. There are �U� shaped passages (Fig. 6) under the throttle body adapter that get clogged with carbon. Remove the adapter, clean the passages and reinstall with a new gasket. Just because the vehicle you are working on is not listed in the TSB doesn�t mean you may not have a clogging problem. Make sure you check the passages and be sure they are clean. Just a slight restriction can cause a flow code to be set, and you may still have an rpm drop that can mislead you..."

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; SEE C, E4OD Harsh Shifts & D, Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations: 1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector; 3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy; 4 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall 5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness; 7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/470456/original/tsb950211shorts.jpg

also see
DTC 27, 29, 452, P0502, P0503, PO716, PO718; Insufficient input from VSS.; "...A more difficult problem to identify is a VSS that works, but sends out the wrong signal for a given vehicle speed. In some cases, a wrong reading from the VSS may still cause a code to be set. For example, if the VSS signal tells the computer the vehicle is traveling 60 miles an hour, but the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor tell the computer that the engine is idling, the computer will be confused. And a confused computer should set any of the following codes: Ford 27, 29, 452. On a vehicle that uses the VSS as a safety device, a defective sensor may send out a wrong "too fast" signal, shutting down fuel flow at the wrong time. Although this doesn’t happen often, it can be a difficult problem to identify. The customer will probably describe it as a random or intermittent sudden loss of power and poor performance, only to have the engine resume normal operation. Routine diagnostic checks of the engine in the shop won’t show any problem because there isn’t a problem with the engine or the ECM..." read more
Source: by wellsmfgcorp.com at http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/Counterpoint4_2.pdf

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; (http://content.chiltonsonline.com/TSB/displayTSBHandler.ashx?assetID=36956&key=6kAUBD5BruOJf/3tgozUqjXM3RdbjcQqW4sVWiE/p2 IojfpfKqM07dr61%2bQAWHtTZr4ceHaQGlj8NylACcNZ4qedMq y4JdYyAXN5akgfkpHUz4aCpJyaaA%3d%3d)SEE D: Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations:
1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector;
3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy;
4 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall 5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness;
7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld.
Source: by Ford via Chilton

I & someone else recently had the "14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel"

And Turbo Ghost just wrote about non-Ford VSS issues @ http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138574&page=3
"I don't know about different lengths but, when I replaced mine, the one from autozone didn't fit right. The one from Ford fit perfectly and solved that aspect of my problem. There was a difference in the way they tightened against the differential. The autozone one got pulled at an angle and the Ford unit went in straight."

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does it run? Is it running, idling rough, loss of power, no top end power, will not stay running, running rich, etc ? Just trying to get more back history.

it actually runs great / 2% of the time hard shifting . all codes were there before i replaced anything.

MIESK5-
i will go over what you sent and get back all the results. thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts