Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am new to bronco. I have a 96 and had battery replaced, now I need to have the inspection and register here in AZ. Went 3 times to inspection station and was told vehicle is "not ready" and I need to have completed a drive cycle?? I found this link, http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html, has anyone done this? I have driven now 200 miles since battery and over highway/streets and some service guy at ford dealer just said drive it around and may take 500 miles. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
26,351 Posts
yo,
this is from the 96 Owner's Guide;
Drive Cycle; "...The engine must be warmed up and at operating temperature before proceeding with the drive modes of the following OBD II Drive Cycle. 1. Start the engine. Drive or idle (in neutral) the vehicle for 4 minutes. 2. Idle the vehicle in drive (neutral for manual transmission) for 40 seconds. 3. Accelerate the vehicle to 45 mph (72 km/h) at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle for 10 seconds. 4. Drive the vehicle with a steady throttle at 45 mph (72 km/h) for 30 seconds. 5. Idle the vehicle in drive (neutral for manual transmissions) for 40 seconds. 6. Continue to drive the vehicle in city traffic at speeds between 25 and 40 mph (40-64 km/h) for 15 minutes. During the 15 minute drive cycle the following modes must be achieved: a. at least 5 stop and idle modes at 10 seconds each b. acceleration from idles at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle position, and c. choose 3 different speeds to do 1.5 minute steady state throttle drives. 343 7. Accelerate the vehicle up to between 45 and 60 mph (72-97 km/h). This should take approximately 5 minutes. 8. Drive vehicle and hold the throttle steady at the selected speed between 45 and 60 mph (72-97 km/h) for approximately 5 minutes. 9. Drive the vehicle for 5 minutes at varying speeds between 45 and 60 mph (72-97 km/h). 10. Bring the vehicle back to idle. Idle in drive for 40 seconds. 11. OBD II drive cycle has been completed. Vehicle can be turned off when convenient..."
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at FSB
Also Check fuse 16 (Bronco) for the cigarette lighter. It is shared with the OBDII TEST connector power and is commonly blown, thus the Code Reader won't power up at the station; our 96's lighter wiring shorted out @ ashtray support;

·
Super Moderator
26,351 Posts
yo
also, if you don't have one get an on-line Owners Guide (Manual) for any Bronco/Ford truck & other Ford vehicles,
Owners Guide (Manual) Free Download for any Bronco/Ford truck & other Ford vehicles for 96 to current year; register to view w/VIN; includes Warranty Guide & Scheduled Maintenance Guide Plus Recalls Performed or Outstanding, dealer service record summaries (Ford is adding entries now), etc.
Source: by Ford http://www.flmowner.com/

get a free download for 96 to current year; register to view w/VIN; includes Scheduled Maintenance Guide
Source: by Ford via fleet.ford.com https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp
or

1 - 3 of 3 Posts