Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relatively new '94 Bronco that I just got done doing a bunch of work on
To my delight, a 'Check Engine' light came on
Could be as simple as a sensor I forgot to re-connect

So what is the best way to deal with one of these systems?
I cant see an OBD port under the dash, even if I do get an old OBD I scanner, where do I plug it in?
For now can I stand on my head and jumper some wires to read the code & clear it?
Any suggestions on brand or model of OBD I scanner?

·
Super Moderator
30,677 Posts
Yo PARA,

The OBD1 part is located in the engine compartment on the driver's side just above the wheel well, (between the fire wall and the air filter box) it looks like this picture.
Guitar accessory Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting Font

Font Auto part Motor vehicle Parallel Line art

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader
EEC AKA PCM, computer stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.
The EEC will tell you what it found out by testing your sensors, and also any stored information it saved from anything that went wrong during the last 40 trips.
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.
Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.
BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS
Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD 1 Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,433 Posts
You can jumper the wire and count flashes, but one of those Innova code readers is the easiest way to do it.

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
336 Posts
i keep a jump wire in my door pocket and ive extended and mounted those connections in the obd2 location modern vehicles come with so i can do the test and read everything while sitting in the captains chair!!!

i also scribed the connectors with a pic like FP meaning fuel pump, G - meaning ground, +12v you get the idea

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jetski ! Hold the connector in place with some 'pooky' !! ??

Kidding aside, went to start it again and the CEL was out !? ....self healing properties?
With OBD II, once you pop a code its there forever until you clear it with a scan tool....
Is OBD I different?

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts

Kidding aside, went to start it again and the CEL was out !? ....self healing properties?
With OBD II, once you pop a code its there forever until you clear it with a scan tool....
Is OBD I different?
When my O2 sensor was acting up the check engine light was intermittently off and on.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,433 Posts

Is OBD I different?
There will will a stored code..

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Highly recommned one of these too unless you find out it was something stupid simple.

Allows you to measure every pin for every sensor quickly from inside the car, even if driving around.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
1,720 Posts
Just want to add to this, if anyone goes old school to use a jumper and test light, there may not enough watts going through that to make an old regular incandescent test light light up. Neither of my broncos will light my old test light up, Maybe an led one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,400 Posts
For the newer broncos that want you pressing brakes and turning wheels (for all that extra electronic crap that goes bad) there's an extender so you can do all that from the drivers seat. My 86 just want one "floor it" session for checking the TPS.

Font Gadget Electronic device Auto part Rectangle

·
Registered
95 f-150 4x4 5.8 e4od 05 F250 axles w/4:10's lifted/modded owned since 97 w/28K
336 Posts
how did yall get that big connector through the firewall?
i had to send wires through when i cut/made my own extension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts