Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Super Moderator
33,587 Posts
Yo bundy,
Apparently I overlooked you here and didn't provide a welcoming, so:
Welcome and congrats on acquiring the very best year Big Bronco known to men, women, children and canines!

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/96_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

See 96 Chassis & Engine Service Manuals @ 1996 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
On pop-up, Click "Drive"

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered View attachment 202203
site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

See How to add your 96s Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links), includes "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Our Sites' FAQs, includes for example:
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery?
etc..

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current t Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

· Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,776 Posts
Yes, a Bronco can go out an not come back on a hook, but that depends on a lot of things. How good a condition your rig is in and the terrain you're trying to tackle. Assuming OC is Orange county, I'm guess there are plenty of places you can go out there with your rig. If it were me, I'd start with a trip to the desert.

· Registered
91 XLT 5.8 E4OD
327 Posts
San Bernardino county is more relaxed and a very large number of fire roads are open to the public. Most are just dirt roads in senic backcountry, but some have more challanging routes. The Mojave desert has a lot to see as well.

· Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
12,111 Posts
Ocotillo Wells come March for TDS 4x4, Cleghorn off the 5 North, Azusa OHV up HWY 39, Pioneer town into Big Bear, John Bull OHV
Minor correction, Cleghorn is off the 15, between San Bernardino & Victorville.

Hungry Valley is off the 5, near Gorman.

Are you going by yourself, or are you trying to get a group together? Are you looking for mud, mild dirt roads, or rougher terrain?

· Registered
96, Stage 2 Solo, 35's, a bit north of 400
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, a Bronco can go out an not come back on a hook, but that depends on a lot of things. How good a condition your rig is in and the terrain you're trying to tackle. Assuming OC is Orange county, I'm guess there are plenty of places you can go out there with your rig. If it were me, I'd start with a trip to the desert.
Did that. It survived Big Bear, Borrego and made it back home:)
I'm wondering what the rest of you guys do?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ocotillo Wells come March for TDS 4x4, Cleghorn off the 5 North, Azusa OHV up HWY 39, Pioneer town into Big Bear, John Bull OHV
I was thinking about TDS but I'm thinking I saw where they wanted a cage and I haven't taken that step. Used to have an '89 that suprised a lot of the jeep guys at TDS with the places it went...but that was back when my kid was still a kid lol

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Minor correction, Cleghorn is off the 15, between San Bernardino & Victorville.

Hungry Valley is off the 5, near Gorman.

Are you going by yourself, or are you trying to get a group together? Are you looking for mud, mild dirt roads, or rougher terrain?
So far just with buddies in the one truck. Looking to go a bit farther but would like to hook up with a group for that. Not really a mud fan...or a lover of big rocks, at least in a FSB as I'd like to keep my rockers straight.
With a bit over 400hp, 35s and a 4" lift, it moves pretty good in the sand. So good that I'm thinking I screwed up not getting reinforced CTB's

12,111 Posts
So far just with buddies in the one truck. Looking to go a bit farther but would like to hook up with a group for that. Not really a mud fan...or a lover of big rocks, at least in a FSB as I'd like to keep my rockers straight.
With a bit over 400hp, 35s and a 4" lift, it moves pretty good in the sand. So good that I'm thinking I screwed up not getting reinforced CTB's
I'm an old backpacker. "Never go alone" is also wise advice when offroading.

With just one truck, Hungry Valley isn't bad. There are always other 4x4s there. It's more of a playground, but it's fun to play there.

Azusa Canyon's main attraction is the mud.

Be careful if you go down to Glamis. It's an amazing sand world there. But it used to be that broken vehicles would frequently get trashed by the "sand people" if left alone. It's always better to go with a group of trucks. Also, you need a flag on a whip to drive there.

I like Cleghorn. It's basically a fire road with more difficult bypasses. The bypasses meet up with the road every so often. So if it becomes too much, or you if have truck issues, you can get back on the fire road & get out of there. I still don't think I'd go alone. My non-lifted 90 on 33s did alright up there. Pics at the bottom of the page. Got a little fender rash up near the taillight from rubbing on the mountain.

I remember an old member here who liked to go out alone a lot. @rudedogii posted lots of videos, but the day he spent stuck stands out. I haven't seen him around in awhile. I wonder if he's stuck out there somewhere.

Start a new thread here in the West Coast Chapter with a trail name in the title when you want to go. Usually with a few weeks notice you can get some guys together.

Cleghorn fireroad:

On the Cleghorn fire road there is one corner where Broncos have been known to flop. The guys in the group warned me about it & said to stay to the high side, then to turn sharply down the hill while gaining a little speed, & not hitting the brakes at all until getting around the corner. My 90 on that corner:

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm an old backpacker. "Never go alone" is also wise advice when offroading.

With just one truck, Hungry Valley isn't bad. There are always other 4x4s there. It's more of a playground, but it's fun to play there.

Azusa Canyon's main attraction is the mud.

Be careful if you go down to Glamis. It's an amazing sand world there. But it used to be that broken vehicles would frequently get trashed by the "sand people" if left alone. It's always better to go with a group of trucks. Also, you need a flag on a whip to drive there.

I like Cleghorn. It's basically a fire road with more difficult bypasses. The bypasses meet up with the road every so often. So if it becomes too much, or you if have truck issues, you can get back on the fire road & get out of there. I still don't think I'd go alone. My non-lifted 90 on 33s did alright up there. Pics at the bottom of the page. Got a little fender rash up near the taillight from rubbing on the mountain.

I remember an old member here who liked to go out alone a lot. @rudedogii posted lots of videos, but the day he spent stuck stands out. I haven't seen him around in awhile. I wonder if he's stuck out there somewhere.

Start a new thread here in the West Coast Chapter with a trail name in the title when you want to go. Usually with a few weeks notice you can get some guys together.

Cleghorn fireroad:

On the Cleghorn fire road there is one corner where Broncos have been known to flop. The guys in the group warned me about it & said to stay to the high side, then to turn sharply down the hill while gaining a little speed, & not hitting the brakes at all until getting around the corner. My 90 on that corner:
Good Info, and advise! I grew up in Borrego. A couple of years back an old grade school buddy crashed his motorcycle between town and his house. They found him a few day later :(
Alone isn't always a good thing.

Last time I was at Glamis, we had a flatbed loaded with wading pools full of whipped cream and well those are stories for another place...Anyway there was a lot more room to ride in those days.
Hemet Jeep Club ran TDS and those days it came down Coyote canyon from Anza to Borrego.

Went thrashing through the sink between Borrego and Ocotillo but there was a lot of barbwire on the ground and the park closed a lot of area
Cleghorn sounds fun but I'm betting its muddy atm...Some friends were talking about a faster desert trail farther up the 15...With a restaurant that made a half way stop.

12,111 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Some friends were talking about a faster desert trail farther up the 15...With a restaurant that made a half way stop.
What trail is that? If I get up that far we usually end up at the Original Roadhouse in Victorville. Sometimes Papa Tony's diner in the Devore area, but it looks like they're closed.😢

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear about your friend.

What trail is that? If I get up that far we usually end up at the Original Roadhouse in Victorville. Sometimes Papa Tony's diner in the Devore area, but it looks like they're closed.😢
That's where I should have paid more attention lol I have to track back and find out. Seems like he was talking about a couple of hours in the dirt to reach the restaurant. It was back when I first got the truck and had other things on my mind

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
turns out he was talking about taking Stoddard Wells off and running around the desert for a while then hitting slashx

Question on TDS. I checked their website and see a Thermal address but there's no trails there. Do they still run it out the 86, west of Salton City?

· Registered
91 XLT 5.8 E4OD
327 Posts
If you are looking to go farther, look into Mojave Road, Bradshaw Trail, Old Dale-Joshua Tree, Rasor Rd, to just name a few. With the exception of Old Dale, the mentioned trails themselves are not too difficult but the side trails can be. I've explored the Mojave desert for 35+ years and only seen a fraction of it. Every trip reveals some new hidden gem, especially if old mines peak your interest.

· Registered
1990 Eddie Bauer 5.8
58 Posts
I agree with the never go alone idea. An emergency beacon is probably a good idea out in the desert too. There are a ton of trails and places to go out in the desert down there. If you want a little longer of a trip, Highway 395 is a great scenic highway that accesses a lot of mountain towns and lots of wheeling in the south-eastern sierras. Alabama hill is pretty cool for an overnight camping trip. I've done some trails near Lone Pine, there is a pretty cool trail that ends in a mine shaft you can drive through. If you're looking for trails try OnX or GAIA maps, they're great for finding new trails and viewing land usage categories.

12,111 Posts
Highway 395 is a great scenic highway that accesses a lot of mountain towns and lots of wheeling in the south-eastern sierras. Alabama hill is pretty cool for an overnight camping trip. I've done some trails near Lone Pine, there is a pretty cool trail that ends in a mine shaft you can drive through.
Got any more specific info on trails up there? Our eventual retirement plans will put us close to that region. I'm starting to look for trails in that area.

· Registered
1990 Eddie Bauer 5.8
58 Posts
The main trails I can remember are

Movie Road in Alabama Hills - Great camping on BLM land, Mt Whitney backdrop, very scenic. Downside is it’s gotten a lot of attention recently from social media and YouTube overlanders

Reward Mine - The main feature is the Mine you can drive in to, with a great view at the top near the Mineshaft

Swansea/Cerro Gordo Peak - great views, cool ridgeline and a Ghost town!

There are a lot of other cool trails that are due east of 395 on the eastern flank of Lone Pine. I’ll have to look up some more specifics, can’t remember off the top of my head. Bishop or Ridgecrest are the best nearby towns for parts/restaurants/supplies. I have a whole list of trails in Death Valley as well, and tons of old abandoned ghost towns. I’m a pretty mild offroad guy, but I love finding old abandoned stuff out in the desert.

Got any more specific info on trails up there? Our eventual retirement plans will put us close to that region. I'm starting to look for trails in that area.

· Registered
91 XLT 5.8 E4OD
327 Posts
A little south of Lone Pine is the Panamint Range, Argus Range and Darwin. A ton of mining was done way back in the day (late 1800's) and even up until recently too at the Briggs Mine

· Registered
91 XLT 5.8 E4OD
327 Posts
Cerro Gordo is impressive too. We went a number of years ago and spent 4 days there. The then caretaker Robert was kind enough to let us stay in the bunkhouse and gave us an amazing tour of the place. Its been since bought by a guy who has a bunch of "interesting" ideas and videos on YT about the place and his "thoughts"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts