Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my Dads beloved 96 Bronco XLT. He loved this thing and had it from 1997 until he passed away. Mom said he wanted to fix it up and surprise me with it. Life happens and well now I want to fulfill Dads dream of fixing this baby up. It came to me with 228k on the odo, I have put about 20k on it in these past 2 years. I have given some thought as to how Dad would have done things. I know that he would want to keep that Classic Bronco style while updating the vehicle for the long haul.

What I have done since it came home to Maryland:
  1. Complete 8.8 rear axle rebuild, new Yukon Dura grip with new ring and pinion 3.55 gear
  2. new rear brake drums/shoes
  3. Complete front Brakes, including wheel bearings inner and outer as well as new calipers, complete brake system flush
  4. Replacement of Dads Alpine radio with a Kenwood blue tooth unit. (audio streaming and streaming of Pandora with a usb port and 128g thumb drive)

Future plans for the OBXFISH:
    • 4" rough country lift kit with leafsprings not blocks.
    • Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 2 wheels 15x10 with ring painted light saddle beige metallic to match exterior.
    • 35x12.50r15 tires ( possibly bfg at ko2 or procomp m/t 2)
    • replacement chrome bumpers front and rear with a new hitch as the current ones is getting rusty
    • new carpet inside the factory color beige
    • reupholstered front seats in the factory livery. I love those armrests.
    • Black soft top from Softopper
    • Roll cage for the back half painted black
    • ori baja elliminator light bar for the front bumper with som eled lighting
    • led light bar for over the front window
    • unsure yet if I will do a expedition style rack for the top. I will need something to carry the Kayaks.
    • I need to find a reinforcement for inside the tailgate to support the spare tire carrier that is in my garage. Dad took the carrier off cause the used tailgate he bought didn't have the support in it.
    • When it comes time to do the drivetrain, I am looking at a 400hp/430tq longblock from tristar, an HD E4OD transmission and bw 1356 transfer case from Monster Transmission.

·
Super Moderator
24,169 Posts
Yo 0BXFISH,
Welcome and great plan to upgrade while keeping your dad in mind!
FYI:
Check with local dealer to see if cruise control, if equipped recall was perforned.

When you have time, fill out your Bronco Info with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
Click User CP
Edit Your Details,
Scroll down to Bronco Info

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/19-suggestions-feedback-site-help/62157-how-use-search-advanced.html
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/19-suggestions-feedback-site-help/6204-how-post-pictures.html
See http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/131287-baba-looeys-favorite-fsb-links-lots-lots-tech-links.html

Here are some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) same as by Ford; Search Wiring Diagrams

Enjoy our site!

Please VOTE FSB for Top4x4 site once daily @ Top4x4Sites.com - Listing some of the top 4x4 and Off Road sites on the web!

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL) by FORD via 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford @ http://www.hillerford.com/resource_library/owner_manuals_pdf/1996_owner_manuals_ford/96bronco.pdf

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via me @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info picture | SuperMotors.net

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What a great tribute to your Dad while building a fine rig.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,419 Posts
Good for you man. Great story. Cool plans.

One thing I noticed... you went through the whole rear end already, but you didn't up the gears. If you're going for that 4" lift and 35's, I'd seriously consider upping the gears to at least 4.10 or 4.56, depending on what you plan to do with it. My old '89 felt like it couldn't get out of it's own way starting off with 35's and 3.55 gears. I upgraded to 4.10's and it was a much needed relief. My next Bronco was already setup with 4.56 and I loved it... even w/stock or 31" and 33" tires, it was fine but planning as you are, I'd be looking at 4.56 as it will turn those bigger tires with more power to spare and still be comfortable on the highway around 2200 RPM at 65-70 mph, depending.

Anyway... welcome to the forum. Follow advice by miesk5 for the best experience around here and jump on in and get those 30 posts (no padding though) so you can start your own build thread. Until then... use the Noobie Area (no post limit to start your own thread) or jump into many conversations around the place. The more folks get to know you, the more they'll be likely to help you out. :thumbup

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,839 Posts
I inherited my Dads beloved 96 Bronco XLT. He loved this thing and had it from 1997 until he passed away. Mom said he wanted to fix it up and surprise me with it. Life happens and well now I want to fulfill Dads dream of fixing this baby up. It came to me with 228k on the odo, I have put about 20k on it in these past 2 years. I have given some thought as to how Dad would have done things. I know that he would want to keep that Classic Bronco style while updating the vehicle for the long haul.

What I have done since it came home to Maryland:
  1. Complete 8.8 rear axle rebuild, new Yukon Dura grip with new ring and pinion 3.55 gear
  2. new rear brake drums/shoes
  3. Complete front Brakes, including wheel bearings inner and outer as well as new calipers, complete brake system flush
  4. Replacement of Dads Alpine radio with a Kenwood blue tooth unit. (audio streaming and streaming of Pandora with a usb port and 128g thumb drive)
Future plans for the OBXFISH:

• 4" rough country lift kit with leafsprings not blocks.
  • Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 2 wheels 15x10 with ring painted light saddle beige metallic to match exterior.
  • 35x12.50r15 tires ( possibly bfg at ko2 or procomp m/t 2)
  • replacement chrome bumpers front and rear with a new hitch as the current ones is getting rusty
  • new carpet inside the factory color beige
  • reupholstered front seats in the factory livery. I love those armrests.
  • Black soft top from Softopper
  • Roll cage for the back half painted black
  • ori baja elliminator light bar for the front bumper with som eled lighting
  • led light bar for over the front window
  • unsure yet if I will do a expedition style rack for the top. I will need something to carry the Kayaks.
  • I need to find a reinforcement for inside the tailgate to support the spare tire carrier that is in my garage. Dad took the carrier off cause the used tailgate he bought didn't have the support in it.
  • When it comes time to do the drivetrain, I am looking at a 400hp/430tq longblock from tristar, an HD E4OD transmission and bw 1356 transfer case from Monster Transmission.
I added the ending /list tags to your quote to make it easier ťo read. You can edit them in your first post too.

I agree with Pepe` about the gearing. You'll want to go 4.56 with 35s.

Sounds like some awesome updates to come!
Welcome to our community :beer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
0BXFISH UPDATE

Sorry for the long break GUYS!! Been slow going. Just before getting dads Bronco I bought my wife her dream car. Its just recently paid off so I am getting back into this.

Since I last was here. I have installed the 4" lift kit with Mickey Thompson wheels and 35x12.5x15 bfg AT/2's Installed the rear swing out tire carrier and repainted the removable hard top. Installed the dropped pitman arm and swapped out all the steering ends. I bought the superlift superrunner steering kit and have yet to install that bad boy.

This past year the exhaust system Dad had installed reached the end of its life. The single inlet dual outlet muffler he had rusted out and the rear pipe sections started coming off, but I kept driving FISH instead. Just didn't want to park it. At long last the factory cats had enough as the 266k mark and started clogging. So in June I parked her and started ordering up new exhaust components. I got a stainless y-pipe from magnaflow as well as a polished stainless single inlet and dual outlet muffler along with double wall stainless exhaust tips from magna flow. I ordered in two new precat o2's as well as the post cat o2. along with clamps and mounts and its been in the garage for a bit now. I went to take off the y-pipe and well time has not been a friend to those manifold studs and nuts.

Long story short. I placed an order for the tristar hp 351w with 380hp/430tq and its being shipped out to me soon.
I also ordered up the correct rated hp/tq Monster built e40d and its in production still.
One of the guys I work with has an engine stand and engine hoist so I am getting the needed things together.
One of the items I have ordered won't be in until late march and that's the edelbrock performer truck manifold (3881)
The other items on order that should be here this week are JBA cat 4ward ceramic coated headers, trick flow 24lb injectors, new all aluminum radiator, flow cooler waterpump and factory alternator from bronco graveyard. I am thinking I will most likely go ahead and install a new a/c compressor while I am at it. But with the list of stuff I have ordered I am closing in on my current budget allocation for the replacement engine and transmission.

I still gotta figure out how to do the whole picture uploading thing. If anyone has pointers...well point away. Guess I should start a build thread for FISH.

That's all 4 now. Thanks to you all for the welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
0BXFISH UPDATE

See other photos of parts ordered.
Once the engine arrives and the intake arrives I will see what arp bolts I need and will order up those as well.

Does anyone here have any experience with waterless coolant??
I have been running it in my Motorcycle for years and love it. But I haven't decided if I am going to do it for the new engine, it would require a heater core flush or replacement and I'm ok with doing that but its just another thing that would need to be done prior to filling the engine.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been running the 35's on my Yukon 3.55 gears for a while now and had pretty respectable power along with 16mpg on the set up. I have the d44 ttb up front and since I have not needed to go into that front diff for any problems I felt best to leave it alone.

As these things go I may end up doing just what you guys are recommending. However it will be one of those things that happens after the majority of work get done.

I haven't had any real plans to wheel this vehicle beyond taking it to the outerbanks once its done. That's where it spent a lot of its leisure time and it will be good to give it a home coming of sorts.

·
Super Moderator
24,169 Posts
Yo O,
Have you looked at How to post pics @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/19-suggestions-feedback-site-help/6204-how-post-pictures.html ?

Many here use Free photo, video, forum, and club hosting for enthusiasts | SuperMotors.net to store & link their pics here.

However, "if you pay for a Fullsize Membership upgrade to your Free FSB Registered account, you get the ability to directly upload pics from your PC to the site through an "Attachments" interface that is available to Members Only."

If interested, choose the type of membership you desire @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/payments.php

I'll move this thread to the Noobie section now. When you achieve 30 posts, you can begin a Build thread.

However, for any Bronco issues or questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it’s been a while since I posted any update on the progress with 0bxfish!
I got the chassis pulled and torn down to frame only! Abraded the whole thing what an undertaking but I’m glad I did it. Here is a picture of the restored chassis. Both the front and the rear axles have been gone through completely. The process I used was the Eastwood platinum encapsulation coat followed by the Eastwood 2k urethane ceramic black! I highly recommend it. Both the axles also received this treatment I will post more photos. I set the Tristar hp crate and Monster transmission in the chassis. I have since had to change the oil pan as I was unaware the pan that came was not shaped right for the stock cat! It’s been remedied though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the upper portion of the super runner steering kit! I will install the lower portion tonight. Ironically the upper portion came at nice and powder coated. The lower links came in raw metal! So I painted those to match. Primer coat and gloss black urethane paint.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts