·
Registered
813 Posts
Nice work OBXFISH!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the Support guys! I am now prepping the body for reinstallation of the completed chassis/drivetrain.
I completely degreased the entire underbody from the engine bay on back to the tail gate ( which is rusted all along the bottom ) :cautious: A new tail gate is going to be needed. I have used a wire wheel to abrade any loose material away (surface rust on seams) I am using the same Eastwood platinum encapsulation paint on any area that shows surface corrosion. I will then follow up with the U-POL tintable raptor bedliner. I am going to try to shoot for the same color as the truck which is saddle beige metallic. I will need to find the color code so I can have the tintable base colored. I was going to just go with plain old black. Its easy to get and even cheaper. However I am planning on using the bedliner material on the lowest body line on the truck as well as carrying the coating onto the lip of the fenders. I have a set of the factory running boards from another bronco owner (blue) that will get painted with the bedliner material as well. I think it will be subtle enough as to maintain a factory-ish look.

Any words of wisdom from the group regarding bed lining the underbody??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice work...Did you document everything you did when removing the body from the chassis? I recently got my 96 EB which is in pretty good condition but the frame does need to be painted. It's currently got a 4" lift so I thought I'd try to clean it up and paint the chassis using the Eastwood products you mentioned. I bought my TID Welder from Eastwood a few years ago so I'm familiar with their products. Anyway...I don't have a lot of room in my shop right now to even consider taking the body off....the The shop is big enough but I've got 1/2 of it filled with my mom's household goods so until we get them taken care of I'm limited in space.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice work...Did you document everything you did when removing the body from the chassis? I recently got my 96 EB which is in pretty good condition but the frame does need to be painted. It's currently got a 4" lift so I thought I'd try to clean it up and paint the chassis using the Eastwood products you mentioned. I bought my TID Welder from Eastwood a few years ago so I'm familiar with their products. Anyway...I don't have a lot of room in my shop right now to even consider taking the body off....the The shop is big enough but I've got 1/2 of it filled with my mom's household goods so until we get them taken care of I'm limited in space.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I took some fairly extensive photos of my progress. As for my restoration I had to do mine outside and so made use of big tarps to cover my progress each time. I used a jack to lift the body up and blocks to support it in 6 spots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
To mount the body back on the frame I have devised a plan! I am going to remove the doors and tailgate run threaded rod from inside the cab down through the body mount holes and use a small washer and nut to secure the body mounts to the cab. The other end of the threaded rod sticking up into the cab will get bolted with nuts and washers to some lifting bars. At the ends of those lift bars will be some strong men to pick up the body and set it in place right as rain!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
To mount the body back on the frame I have devised a plan! I am going to remove the doors and tailgate run threaded rod from inside the cab down through the body mount holes and use a small washer and nut to secure the body mounts to the cab. The other end of the threaded rod sticking up into the cab will get bolted with nuts and washers to some lifting bars. At the ends of those lift bars will be some strong men to pick up the body and set it in place right as rain!!
That sounds like a good plan. I saw pictures somewhere else were the body was lifted off the chassis little by little and blocked like you have yours. I'll probably have to wait...I've got a good shop but nowhere to block/leave the body while I work on the chassis. Looks like you had a good place near your shop.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
325 Posts
Man fish your build is amazing. Super jealous of how clean it all looks. I’m going to end up having to do this myself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow, and I thought I poured alot of cake into mine!
....you do have an estimate on all this work? Will you pay somebody to do this or do yourself?
Just keep in min if you plan on spinning 35s ALL the front end incl all those u-joints may need a look

·
Registered
91 Bronco, 351 lightning motor, 6 inch lift 35inch tires
79 Posts
Its sweet. I didn't want to do body off. I do plan on pulling my axles and going thru them. I think I'd rather go from 3.73 to 4.10 or 4.56. Not sure yet

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wow, and I thought I poured alot of cake into mine!
....you do have an estimate on all this work? Will you pay somebody to do this or do yourself?
Just keep in min if you plan on spinning 35s ALL the front end incl all those u-joints may need a look

Para,

I have at this point invested about 15k in parts, I have been doing the work myself. I don't have a lift and my garage is tooo short to do this work. I have the benefit of a very large parking area behind my house as our two car garage entrance is on the back side of the house under the kitchen. I used a block method and slowly lifted the body off the chassis. I had already removed the transfer case, drive shafts, transmission and engine when I did it though. That left nothing left to get in the way. I just had to disconnect the body harness and the steering shaft.
Of course it is taking longer this way. I just feel like the time spent on it, is kind of like spending the time with my Dad.

HillBillyRob

You nailed it. Dad took this Bronco to the Outer Banks to shore fish at least twice a year. He and I shore fished right out of the back of it. So 0BXFISH was the perfect name for it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts