Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thermometer occasionally goes all the way to the H when I am driving it on the road. I can get it to lower some when I turn on the heater; but turning the car off works a lot better. I just recently had my oil changed and coolant topped off to see if that helped. Just wondering what the problem could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Plugged radiator?Make sure the themostat is operating properly,if it is then the radiator may be plugged.Had a plugged radiator on my daughters car,it acted exactly as you are describing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
bronco95tgp said:
I would put a new thermostat in it and do a radiator flush while you were at it!
Make sure you back flush it to. And keep doing it untill the water runs clean in both directions.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
Turning it off makes the temp go down? That's odd, usually when you shut it off, the temp goes up [before it starts to cool] because the coolant is no longer circulating and being cooled by air. Hmm..

Try changing the t-stat like the boys said. :thumbup

·
Banned
3,345 Posts
Definitely start with the t'stat, but don't be surprised if it takes a water pump or radiator.

An easy way to check the radiator is to rinse it thoroughly, jam the fan so it can't turn, then run the engine. As warm water flows thru the radiator, the water will evaporate. Any tubes that are blocked will stay wet, so you can see in a minute or 2 your radiator's condition. Once you get a good visible line, you can unjam the fan.

If you've deleted your fan clutch, you have to remove the blade, but put the bolts back to hold the WP pulley on.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What type of Bronco?

What type of Bronco do you have?

Also do you have an engine fan that is supposed to be pulling air flow through the radiator.

Boy, I had a hell of a problem with overheating before I completely removed my engine fan (gives me more HP now also), and installed 2 electric fans.

Here is what it used to look like under there (took me several weeks of searching these forums, and allot of help from other FSB members to learn that I had the incorrect fan shroud installed. Came w/Bronco)

So I completeley got rid of fan shroud and engine fan, removed radiator, flushed it,etc....and installed (2) 10" Hayden Rapid Cool Electrical Fans. Part # 3560. They will be run by 1 Hayden PreSet Temp Control switch. Part # 3562

Now it looks like this under there, and NEVER get's above 3/4 hot (on my gage) down here in South Texas. We go all over the Sand Dunes on the beach during the weekends and driving all over our brush heavy ranch during the week and have yet for it to overheat. I got my money's worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take a look at the thermostat, I just replaced the radiator not too long ago. Thanks for the advice and I will let you guys know...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WSentertainment.com said:
What type of Bronco do you have?

Also do you have an engine fan that is supposed to be pulling air flow through the radiator.

Boy, I had a hell of a problem with overheating before I completely removed my engine fan (gives me more HP now also), and installed 2 electric fans.

Here is what it used to look like under there (took me several weeks of searching these forums, and allot of help from other FSB members to learn that I had the incorrect fan shroud installed. Came w/Bronco)

So I completeley got rid of fan shroud and engine fan, removed radiator, flushed it,etc....and installed (2) 10" Hayden Rapid Cool Electrical Fans. Part # 3560. They will be run by 1 Hayden PreSet Temp Control switch. Part # 3562

Now it looks like this under there, and NEVER get's above 3/4 hot (on my gage) down here in South Texas. We go all over the Sand Dunes on the beach during the weekends and driving all over our brush heavy ranch during the week and have yet for it to overheat. I got my money's worth.

Thanks for the write up...if the t'stat doesnt solve my prob I will look into this.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
mine would overheat if i sat in traffic for more than 5 minutes.
i had a bunch of build-up and scale in the lower intake manifold- i found out while i was replacing my headgaskets.
its a pain in the ass- but if the t-stat doesnt fix it- and your radiator isnt plugged... keep it in the "maybe"s
ace

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Take care of it soon.. I've been having an issue with our chevy overheating and well today the heagasket finally blew all the way... It's not an easy fix for someone who doesn't know much about motors.. Good look to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts