Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bronco has been having some rough/long starts for a while now, but now it is happening much more often (damn near every time). When I turn the key, you can hear the starter working, but it takes a while for the engine to turn over. I usually have to pump the gas a bit, and when I do that, it starts right up.

I had it in the shop about a month ago for an oil leak (some of you may remember all my posts about that new oil pan) and while it was in the shop I asked him to see if he could figure out what was causing the rough starts. He said he ran some tests and couldn't figure out the cause, and didn't have it happen to him any of the times he started it up (of course).

I was hoping my recent ignition upgrade would fix the problem, but it hasn't seemed to help. The problem is getting worst. Any thoughts?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You shouldn't have to touch the gas pedal. You have fuel injection on your '95, and that's what it's there for. The only time you should need to touch it is to put it into clear-flood mode; you hold the pedal to the floor, and the EEC turns off the injectors complete to clear out the cylinders of excess fuel.

What ignition upgrades did you perform? As long as your ignition is up to snuff (a nice hot white spark), I'd agree with sceep and say check your fuel pressure KOEO. [[I've got that same bleed-off problem, but only once in a while, and it's just not worth changing a fuel pump over, IMHO.]] After that, I'd start testing the engine coolant temperature sensor, located above the thermostat housing. If it's indicating the wrong temperature to the EEC at startup, then it's not going to give you enough fuel during cranking. Most cold-engine starting problems can be attributed to the ECT. Check out Steve83's chart for ECT resistance/voltage values. It's an easy test to do with a DVOM, as is testing the TPS, which is what I'd test next.

Have you tried pulling codes at all yet?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SigEpBlue said:
You shouldn't have to touch the gas pedal. You have fuel injection on your '95, and that's what it's there for. The only time you should need to touch it is to put it into clear-flood mode; you hold the pedal to the floor, and the EEC turns off the injectors complete to clear out the cylinders of excess fuel.
It can take a good 5+ seconds to start sometimes if I don't pump the gas once or twice.

SigEpBlue said:
What ignition upgrades did you perform? As long as your ignition is up to snuff (a nice hot white spark), I'd agree with sceep and say check your fuel pressure KOEO. [[I've got that same bleed-off problem, but only once in a while, and it's just not worth changing a fuel pump over, IMHO.]] After that, I'd start testing the engine coolant temperature sensor, located above the thermostat housing. If it's indicating the wrong temperature to the EEC at startup, then it's not going to give you enough fuel during cranking. Most cold-engine starting problems can be attributed to the ECT. Check out Steve83's chart for ECT resistance/voltage values. It's an easy test to do with a DVOM, as is testing the TPS, which is what I'd test next.
I was having this problem even before the ignition upgrade. I regapped the plugs, upgraded the coil/cap/rotor/wires. Haven't bumped the timing yet because I don't have a timing light.

SigEpBlue said:
Have you tried pulling codes at all yet?
I have not, and I don't have the equiptment to do it, but it sounded like the mechanic did while it was in the shop and he didn't find anything.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Bronco Newbie said:
I have not, and I don't have the equiptment to do it, but it sounded like the mechanic did while it was in the shop and he didn't find anything.
Search! You only need a paperclip to pull codes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SigEpBlue said:
Search! You only need a paperclip to pull codes.
Shows how much I know about this stuf, huh...I thought you needed a SnapOn tool to connect to the computer to read the codes. I'll do a search and see what I can find for more information about doing this myself...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
Bronco Newbie said:
Shows how much I know about this stuf, huh...I thought you needed a SnapOn tool to connect to the computer to read the codes. I'll do a search and see what I can find for more information about doing this myself...
Autozone or ADvance will also pull codes for free. Run it up there if you get into a struggle, just don't let the guy behind the counter give you any advice on what's wrong. The codes will tell you everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Newbie, From what you describe, I think I am having a similiar problem with my 93 Eddie Bauer. After it has run and been heated up the starter has to turn over a lot longer than it used to before it fires and starts. It's almost as if it loses prime on the fuel line. It seems to help if I turn the key on for several seconds before trying to start. I guess this could be fuel pump related. If you or anyone else finds a solution or has a suggestion, I would like to try it also. Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
the pump cycles once when in the run (not running though) position. before you start.

try cyclying the key 3-4 times from off-run-off-run-off-run this'll get the line pressure up. pause at run for a second or two each time...

then try starting. if it fires right up with a fully presurized line you either have a regulator, or pump problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts