Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT Trailer Special. 429/C6, Edelbrock 1405 600cc.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone check to see if they have these same three screws in the door jam of the driver side tailgate.

it’s pretty obvious that the previous owner drilled and tapped these three small course threading screws but I’m not exactly sure why. They don’t seem to attach anything internal or external. I did remove an odd tail light bulb that had a wire soldered into the bulb socket - outputting brakelight ON voltage I think, so perhaps it’s got something to do with that craziness. Only thing I could think of was faulty brake lights or a getto trailer wiring.

Maybe these screws help to center the tailgate when it closes? Maybe they help with a tailgate rattle?

what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,601 Posts
My first thought is who in the hello uses flat tip screws instead of Philips? Them been there for a real long time... no telling what they were for.

Reactions: KCD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe it's left over from the cargo netting they had before they found the tailgate

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,233 Posts
NOT OEM. Not even a little.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
163 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
163 Posts
I don't know Pepe, my '82 XLT Lariat has the same three screws from the factory.
TB
My mistake, I thought he was referring to the three bolts attaching the latch post and the cable.
I have never seen the three small crews like the ones above his latch post.
TB

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
46 Posts
Get rid of them!

Reactions: Shepherd

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Dead giveaway is that
1- They're all right next to each other, no manufacturer ever mounted shit like that.
2- They're flat head. the only time I see flat head screws like that is on ancient appliances or tools.

·
36,233 Posts
...or jap bikes 😝

·
36,233 Posts
I can't remember the model but I'm thinking an older Honda Sabre. Dude I worked with was baggin' on my hog, all proud of his new rice'er. I walked over, checked it out and pointed out 3 different mounting points that had what looked like fat woods screws holding parts together. I pointed, laughed, told him to get a bike held together with nuts and bolts before he starts talking sh!t. The following year, he bought a Harley. Now he has his own "riders" club. I blame SOA.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Don't you be knockin my Hondas! I floated mine down a god damn river and it still runs.

·
36,233 Posts
Whatever floats like a boat... 'er, floats yer boat, maybe. Something like that. ;)

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
In this case it was just the rear tires. The rest played submarine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts