Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I noticed last weekend a yellow-ish residue when i removed my oil cap. I've never seen this before. :scratchhe My truck has always had a decent leak at the rear main, I usually just keep an eye on my oil more than i usualy would. Now i even notice this yellowish coloration in the oil spots she leaves on the streets. Any ideas? I changed the oil out not long ago, I run 10w-40, non-synthetic. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbup
Thanks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
You have water contamination.If it just the oil cap its condensation caused by short run times in cooler weather.If your getting the same discoloration on the ground you looking at an internal problem,blown head gasket,cracked head,cracked block.Also a bad intake gasket allowing water to get into the valley area and into the oil.

·
Registered
213 Posts
yup sure will... time to take her apart and replace the gaskets. It's definitely water contamination and it will take a little bit but it can cause serious problems to your engine if you let it go for too long.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Billz4x4z

If it's just under the cap it is just condensation. I had this same problem with my 2000 Dodge Dakota which I drove 65 miles one way to work for 5.5 years. I had this same gunk in my oil cap. I found out later this was just normal for some of the 4.7L motors. Hope this helps and that is all it is!

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Pull the dip stick if it has water in oil it will look like a chocolate shake if its old oil. It will look like a banana shake if its new oil i hope it does not look like one of the two if it dose change intake head gaskets have heads checked if you can and cross your fingers its not a cracked block good luck.:thumbup

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'm going to change out the oil again and see how everything is after that. It was actually raining the day i chnged my oil (i had the hood up blocking the rain, but i had to run down to the parts store to get a wrench to get off the old filter). I pulled the dip stick today and it was just tan like oil. Either way I know know what that junk was :thumbup Thanks alot, you guys rock :rockon

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ok, I just found the same junk in my oil cap/breather. I havent found any in the oil were it marks its territory. It has been really cool in the morning, though. So is there any stuff to run through the oil before I change it to burn out the water, if there is any? Eng Restore? I looked at the coolant and it seems fine. Will watch for a couple of weeks I guess.

Maybe that noisy valve will finally get fixed if i have to change the head gaskets.

·
Registered
616 Posts
No need for any additives if it is "just" condensation. Take if our for a good drive to get everything up to temp. 15-20 min should do it. The water will boil out and go out the pcv and your good. Now if it is cold and damp when you shutdown then you may get more condisation again, just depends on how moist it is.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
No need for any additives if it is "just" condensation. Take if our for a good drive to get everything up to temp. 15-20 min should do it. The water will boil out and go out the pcv and your good. Now if it is cold and damp when you shutdown then you may get more condisation again, just depends on how moist it is.
:stupid I get that same thing going on when I do a bunch of short drives, but as soon as I do a long highway run, it's all gone. As long as your not loosing coolant it is normal.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
If its not on your dip stick i would not worry about it use a quart of atf in the oil for a couple hundred miles then change the oil.:thumbup

·
Registered
206 Posts
before you go yanking heads off and what not.....make sure the pcv valve is functioning.(it should rattle when shaken)
if your crancase isn't venting properly, condensation will form and so will oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
before you go yanking heads off and what not.....make sure the pcv valve is functioning.(it should rattle when shaken)
if your crancase isn't venting properly, condensation will form and so will oil leaks.
Exactly what I was going to say. A defective PCV valve will keep condensation in the oil system.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Get a cooling system tester. Presurize the system and see if it leaks down rather fast. If so and no external coolant leak then pull the heads and go from there. But the first thing to do is to check the dipstick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts