Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drove back to my apartment in PA all the way from Massachusetts to find it robbed. That's beside the point. What I wanted to ask about (before I forget) is; I reset my trip when i fueled up, to try and calculate gas mileage. From the gas station, I drove exactly 102 miles on a single stretch of highway. I know this because I've done the drive several times in several vehicles, and they all say 102 miles. Anyway, my bronco gave me 133 miles. It's a digital odometer, and I was keeping an eye on it the whole time. Why is it reading more miles than it should? Wrong tire size? I currently have 265/75 on there right now I think. I'm wondering if the tires are off, or if it's something deeper than that.

This is a smoke free car, in very good condition, and I don't want faulty odometer readings to ruin the possible future sale of the vehicle. It's just under 95,000 miles right now. But for all I know, it could really only have 80,000 on it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i can't say for sure but, from what i have been reading the speedometer reeds off somewhere on the drive train, so drifferent tires can make a difference. I've been lokking at new gears for once i lift my truck and put bigger tires on it and from what i have seen some gear kits come with a peice to ake the speedometer right. I don't know if this is your case just depends on its been regeared and if the tires are stock or not. you can search on here about gears, and there is some good posts to see what your geared at if not stock and maybe that will help

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I did notice the speedo was about 5 mph off. I checked it everytime I went by one of those radar stations.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Your 265's are larger than stock, so that would result in UNDERstated mileage (you actually travel farther for each rotation than the truck's odometer measures).

You must have some other problem. Has your truck been regeared?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not entirely sure what's been done to it. The previous owner didn't no much about cars. His father owned it before him, and it looks like he did SOME work to it. Braided fuel lines throughout the truck and everything. Nothing too fancy. It seemed odd because the guy got the truck from his father in 2003, and it read 45,000 on the odo. Now it reads 95,000, and I know that he only really drove it in the city, and minor highway use. He's a cop, so he's in a cruiser most of the time anyway. Racking up 50k miles in 3 years is a bit odd for a city driver.

I'll talk to him and get the info on it. I was just curious if someone had experienced anything similar here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
wait, so if i have 31's and i go 100 miles according to my Speedo... i'm really going like 95 or am i really going like 105?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
quicksilver3602003 said:
wait, so if i have 31's and i go 100 miles according to my Speedo... i'm really going like 95 or am i really going like 105?
Your really going faster. It's like 107 or 108 if I recall from the tire chart that Steve has.

But a couple of guys on here do have broncos that indicate 31's were put on as a factory option, so check your door sticker to see what your's should be. 235/75 is normally stock (28.5"), and a 265/75 is a 31".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I looked under the glovebox today to find that connectoir disconnected (damned if I know where the other end is) and some speaker wire running through there. Not sure if there's a relation or not. When I get more time, I'll trace everything down. Seems like that's the problem though.

Thanks for all the input, I'll have this fixed up by next week I'm sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts