Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Eddie Bauer - Everything was fine and then I was driving and I noticed a jolting where a car would normally switch gears pretty smoothly. Looked down and my Odometer is OFF and the electronic mile gauge is off too. Before I take it in ... please can someone give me some info if this has happened to them before??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuse is ok ... that doesn't sound major. Computer gone? Maybe I should preface by saying this is my first Bronco after wanting one for 10 years and buying it on impulse because it was now or never. I don't care how much TLC I have to put in her ... but I don't know much about cars (YET) and don't have a good mechanic.
My last car did the jolting thing which cost me about $300.
See: noobie.

·
Registered
90 Posts
hey jerky, I did not have alot of time, but i tried the search button to see if i could come up with anything for ya, since you know more about whats going on with your problem, try useing the search button at the top right side, mabye you can find some posts about similar probs with other members, hope this helps and good luck to ya.:beer

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LiveTohnt

Hey thanks a lot! I actually did that after ....... like I said I'm new ....... and found a few good posts about the speedometer AND odometer malfunctioning .......so tonight when I get home I'm going to check the fuses since that seems to be the main thing people say.

If I can figure it out. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
It is the fuse. It controls the Od and the electronic shift in the tranny. People pull this fuse to keep the milage down. The down side is harder shifts. I pers. wouldn't pull mine, you'd think it would eventually cause some type of dam. in the tranny.:shrug

Just change your fuse and you should be back in bus.

·
Super Moderator
14,742 Posts
I'm on board with the fuse theory. That seems to be the most likely culprit if you're not experiencing any other problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fun fuse Questions

Wow, awesome thanks! SO: doing my homework, how do I know what kind of fuse? Will it say in my Manual? Do I just walk into Kragen and say "I need such and such?" I just ordered a repair manual. Votes welcome on Hayes vs. Chilton.......

I am looking on Kragen.com and see a bunch of things including "Eng. Compartment Fuse: Maxi Fuse; Pwr. DISTRIBUTION" and "Eng. Compartment Fuse: Maxi Fuse; Eng. CONTROL COMPUTER; FUEL PUMP; Ign. Sys.; Pwr. DISTRIBUTION " ........etc

You know what I mean?

·
Super Moderator
14,742 Posts
When you pull the fuse panel off, and you look at the diagram on the back of the panel, it will tell you what amperage you will need. I'm pretty sure its a 15 amp one.

·
1,407 Posts
yes, definatley the fuse. I had this happen about 6 mos ago and it scared me when the truck started jerking at shifts. Then I looked down at the od and noticed it and the speedo wasnt working. I figured out on my own that it was the fuse. Dont remember exactly which one though, just look at the panel it will show you:thumbup

·
Super Moderator
24,672 Posts
yo,
Any other devices out as well? Is it hard shifting????
If so, then check the VSS; it may need to be cleaned or the connector replaced/cleaned.

For the fuse check:
Look @ your Owner's Guide for fuse info (pages 322 to 332)
From the 96 Owner's guide and a look to confirm in the fuse box in our 96xl, #8; 15 amp. controls:
Speedometer, courtesy lamps, outside electric mirrors, engine compartmt. lamp, keyless entry, speedometer, sun visor mirror bulb, warning buzzer chime.

#18, 10 amp also is listed as controlling the Speedometer as well as 4 wheel drive shift module, overhead console, brake shift interlock, air bag, day/night mirror.

BTW there is also a Power distribution box under the hood next to air filter box along fender.
The high current fuses contained in the Power Distribution Box protect your vehicle’s main electrical systems from overloads; these fuses provide the connection between the battery and
your vehicle’s electrical systems. The high current fuses are coded as follows: 30 amp -light green, 40 amp - orange, 50 amp - red,
60 amp -blue. DOUBT that any here are blown bec. many other devices would not work.

Worse case in terms of $ is the PSOM is in the instrument cluster will need repair/replacement...I saw a fix in f150online by someone who worked on a 97 PSOM; the problem turned out to be a bad solder joint; author said this is the cause of late model (95 and up) Bronco and 97+ F series PSOM failures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts