Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im interested in some tires from another forum for my Ranger.

He says they are 8/32nds tread depth.

Can I get someone to tell me what that is roughly in percentage? Thanks

James

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
8/32's is not much left. I beleive most tires are considered un-usable around 3/32's. so maybe 5,000 miles on the tires.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, thats what I was afraid of. I just lifted my Ranger yesterday, and the member wants to trade my current stock 255x70x16's with 17k miles on them for his 265x75x16's with 8/32nds tread depth.

Not sure if its worth it.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
not unless he gives you like 600 bucks as well.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He says 16/32nd is new. So 8/32nds is 50% tread depth. No wheeling on them. No plugs. Should have a good 20k miles left in them.

One of my Goodyears has a plug, but holds air fine. Might have 30k miles left in them.

If his do have 50% tread, i'd say its a pretty even trade.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
All I know is if a wear bar is level with the tread, a state inspection site will fail the vehicle and tell you to replace the tire.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BFG AT's.

At 50%, they should be no where near the wear bar.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't understand why 50% would be no good?

Maybe i'm missing something. Does 16/32nds not mean new? So wouldn't 8/32nds mean 50% of tread left?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, good point. Don't know what I didn't think of that. I guess I was thinking there is 50% of usable tread left.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Be sure to have him provide you the mfg date of the tires. You don't want to be buying 10 year old tires, regardless of the amount of tread that is left. It will be a 4 digit number like 3209 Which stands for the 32nd week of 2009 they were built

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't assume. Apparently you can't read. If you re-read post 5, I said the owner of the tires told me 16/32nds is new...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I didn't assume. Apparently you can't read. If you re-read post 5, I said the owner of the tires told me 16/32nds is new...
What kind of tires are they? This way you can actually look up the specs of the tire online. For example a Hercules trail digger has 22.5/32 tread depth, while a Toyo open country is 17/32.

You also can't assume that the seller is correct and rambled off a number. You can have 90% of tread depth left, but it's useless if the tire itself is 10 years old.

·
Registered
57 Posts

i didn't mean it like that.
Apparently you misunderstood my post.

I said in the future.
On forums, it seems as if you tell someone information about one product, they seem to port it over to other products.

I was just looking out for you.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What kind of tires are they? This way you can actually look up the specs of the tire online. For example a Hercules trail digger has 22.5/32 tread depth, while a Toyo open country is 17/32.

You also can't assume that the seller is correct and rambled off a number. You can have 90% of tread depth left, but it's useless if the tire itself is 10 years old.
I already posted that info. BFG AT's.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i didn't mean it like that.
Apparently you misunderstood my post.

I said in the future.
On forums, it seems as if you tell someone information about one product, they seem to port it over to other products.

I was just looking out for you.
My bad, thanks for the info. :beer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts