Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm the proud owner of a 1995 Ford Bronco XLT.(Literally, i just paid it off.) Well now that the truck is mine and not the banks I was thinking about doing some more serious off-roading with it. I have off-roaded it lightly. It has a 5.0. H.O. out of a 1988 Lincoln Mark 4 that is bored .040 over(only has 80,000 on it and has brand new injectors with a new fuel pump and filter. The motor runs like brand new. It still has crosshatch on the cylinder walls and tons of power. I run a K&N air filter and dual exhaust with no cats through a high flow, straight through design performance muffler. It has 2.5 inch pipe with 4 inch tips straight out the back It has the normal ttb 44 and 8.8 with 3.55 gears and rear LS. it also has the E40D with a recently replaced MLPS and Bw1356. Normal bronco stuff. The water pump and radiator are new along with the steering, bearings, hubs, and i rebuilt the rearend. I run 31-10.5-15 Roadmaster All-Terrains. They have an h-block type pattern in them with a ton of sipe marks for ice traction which is good because i live in Minnesota. I plan on putting front tow hooks and a rear receiver hitch with a D-ring shackle on before spring. Besides the addition of the tow hooks does anyone have any good suggestions as what I should do to prep my truck. I don't plan on doing anything hardcore just medium mud and trail stuff. I am a college student am have a tight budget. The truck has 185,000 miles on it if that helps. thanks for the advice guys.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Howdy,

I hear ya on the tight college budget. What are you using to cool that E4OD? I would also recommend a tranny temp gauge if your gonna romp on it.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I also recommend a tranny temp gauge......even if you aint gonna "romp on it"....you can also go for a aftermarket tranny cooler. I have both on my Bronco.....and I use only Mobil-1 fully synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
put together a recovery kit to keep in there while you're on the trails.

brad

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
asides a recovery kit i would add a survival kit too.

so incase you get stuck in a ditch in a winter storm you could try and weather it out at least.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I guess I'm gonna chime in and re-inforce what the others said about your transmission.

There is no other single component that's more expensive, and therefore valuable, on your truck.

Now that you've got your engine the way you want it, it's time to spend some time (and not much money) to buy some "preventative maintenance" items for your precious E4OD.

You have no idea how many E4OD owners show up here with the $3000.00 sob story, after the fact, when the damage is done and it's too late to help them.

Most of their problems stem from heat and a dirty or blocked in-rad cooler. To improve these things you need a bigger stacked plate design external trans cooler and IMO a remote transmission filter to slowly clean up your ATF and lines and assist in keeping it all clean from here on in.

These are really cheap, affordable and easy to install;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17326#content

Do this now and every year too;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=18723#content

While you're in there you can do this to make it easier next year;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17321#content

While you're at it you can put in an electrical trans fluid temperature gauge and get a rough idea of when you're carbonizing your fluid.

There's plenty of other things you can do to your Bronco,but you won't be doing them if your trans dies and leaves you with a crippling 2-3 grand repair bill.

Sixlitre

p.s./
Being an 86er I know very little about the 92-96s, but I have read several horror stories of the prices you guys have to pay for your spindles and other front end parts.

A little PM now could save you a pile of cash and grief later. Learn what your inner spindle bearings are, where they are and how to get in there and grease em'. I use fully synthetic grease in there and in my wheel bearings. It's worth the extra dollar for the added protection and reduced rolling resistence.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys. I'll look at getting another cooler for my tranny besides the stock one and see about the filter. The bearings all front end parts are new and I do run synthetic waterproof grease. It is worth the extra bit of cash. THat grease has saved my butt more than once. Is it hard to wire a trans temp. gauge? Where abouts would I purchase one? Thanks again guys.

·
Finally got SAS'd
1,142 Posts
A hi-lift is a must, tow strap is also very important. Keep extra fluids for everything, as many spare parts as you can carry, at least u-joints. A decent set of tools so can make necessary repairs.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
bogginbronco95 said:
thanks for the info guys. I'll look at getting another cooler for my tranny besides the stock one and see about the filter. The bearings all front end parts are new and I do run synthetic waterproof grease. It is worth the extra bit of cash. THat grease has saved my butt more than once. Is it hard to wire a trans temp. gauge? Where abouts would I purchase one? Thanks again guys.
The gauge in my pics was $10 CDN

and the remote filter costs less than $30 American for the kit. You'll pay double that just for the estimate on your toasted tranny at the trans repair shop, heck the tow will cost triple that.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Six-How often do you change the remote tranny filter? Also, is the gauge you are using sold as an oil temp gauge?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Blue'87GT said:
Six-How often do you change the remote tranny filter? Also, is the gauge you are using sold as an oil temp gauge?
It's sold as a water or oil temp gauge (what do you want for $10 CDN).

Initially I changed it once a week for three. Then, and since, I change the filter monthly (in my case it's 2000 miles).

My number of quick changes was to get the big particulate out fast and not clog my cheap @$$, low grade filters. My other theory is that it's better to gradually clean an undermaintained transmission rather than shock it with new everything all at once.

To date its worked. I now have 270,000 original miles on my first and only AOD. I do change the internal filter(and most of the ATF) every July, but lately it's so clean it's almost not worth bothering.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
56 Posts
u can get some good tow hooks from national parts depot for like i dont know maybe 15 bucks a piece i think

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
Super easy for a tranny temp gauge. The sender can be screwed right into a T fitting added to the line that comes out of the tranny on its way to the cooler. Then a wire goes from the sender to the gauge, and you hook up some power for the light. This is what I got for my powerstroke.

When it hits 225, you back off.

Adrianspeeder

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
Super easy for a tranny temp gauge. The sender can be screwed right into a T fitting added to the line that comes out of the tranny on its way to the cooler. Then a wire goes from the sender to the gauge, and you hook up some power for the light. This is what I got for my powerstroke.

When it hits 225, you back off.

Adrianspeeder
That weren't $10 CDN !

pretty good lookin' though !

Sixlitre

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
Broncoman351 said:
Just line it up down the trail. And floor it. Best tip ever right there.
good way to break something

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
First off I'd say take it easy. Get used to the way the truck handles in 4 wheel drive. Secondly dont go looking for the biggest mud hole you can find. You will get stuck, you probably will get stuck deep and you might struggle to get out. Third thing use a spotter. If you cant see where you're going ask somebody to watch for you it might save you some body damage. Fourth thing check the depth of water before entering. Water that doenst look so deep can be a lot deeper than you think ask Daniel.

About that synthetic waterproof grease I've seen it before but as I recall the temperature rating was significantly less than factory specified Ford wheelbearing grease

·
Registered
103 Posts
Besides the stuff the other guy's mentioned a CB radio would be a plus. Also don't go wheeling alone.. If or when possible I would switch to mud terrain tires being that you primarily run in mud. They will be a big plus.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
wheel with experienced folk. THATs the best thing you can do. you will learn what you need and what you don't need for the kind of wheeling you do.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
ToddACimer said:
About that synthetic waterproof grease I've seen it before but as I recall the temperature rating was significantly less than factory specified Ford wheelbearing grease
He'll have to check to make sure it meets specs alright

the pink stuff I use met and exceeded Ford specs. While no grease is gonna hang on during a commute down river, like Daniel did, synthetic does better than regular grease, I find anyway.

What it's really good for is cold weather protection and reduced rolling resistance, cold and regular. After loading up my wheel bearings with it I noticed a longer coasting distance and time in neutral.

Anything that helps our huge, heavy bricks roll on down the hwy easier is alright with me.

I just wish I could still afford fully synthetic ATF, like Streetgang. As it stands, only my transfer case gets the good stuff once a year.

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 22 Posts