Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be off topic but I dont know where else to ask.

I have a 91 camaro that has a timing cover that has a built-in/casted timing mark on the cover.I have a chrome timing cover laying around but doesnt have the timing mark built onto it.So i was wondering if I could buy the bolt on timing mark tabs to make up for it not having one built onto it or would it not give me an accurate timing reading since its not in the middle timing cover?Clear as mud???

Jon Sampang

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you look real close on the chrome one, I bet there is a single mark for TDC. just one dot or ridge or something. Then you get timing tape and stick it on your balancer. We had to do this on my buddies chebbie when his timing set exploded and destroyed the timing cover and water pump :crazy :eek:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reason I ask is because on the stock timing cover,its on the center of the cover.If iI use my chrome one,it will be in a different position.I was reading on some boards stating that if I change to the chrome cover,I will not be able to get a accurate reading on the timing.

G

·
Well, if i were you i would use it. Everytime you screw with distributor and such, your going to want to find TDC and retard or advance timing from there. You could put a booger on the cover where TDC is and use a timing gun with advance. Whether you have a mark or not, you will ALWAYS be able to correctly set your timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts