Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a few of these kind of threads posted lately, so I thought I'd start an "official" thread that maybe one of the admin.s or mod.s could sticky or something. Might even help some original 4wd's that are looking at a certain 2wd drive part and is unsure of if it will fit or not. Anyway, here it is. Feel free to add any info to or ask any questions.

Front end
The front end exchange is a pure unbolt, bolt-in ordeal. Take everything off the front of your 2wd minus beam/radius arm brackets and coil buckets, unless you want the quad shock setup. Do the same for the 4wd, take everything from the 4wd chassis and move under the 2wd chassis. Bolt everything back up. The 2wd coil buckets will accomodate the rear shock of the quad shock setup. The brackets on the front crossmember for the beams are the same, your extra height comes from the difference in height of the beams themselves. Which coils you should use is completely dependent upon which you would rather run; they mount the same. The only cutting involved is for the transfer case shifter. SOME F150s have a plate that can be unbolted from the side of the transmission tunnel and you can avoid cutting, others do not and you will have no choice but to cut the hole in the floor. I don't know about automatics, but when going from a T18 to M5OD you will need the transmission crossmember from the 4wd chassis. ***<-I am unsure about that part, only done one conversion so unsure if the crossmembers are transmission or 2/4wd specific.*** If you want to keep your swaybars (for whatever demented reason that may be), you will need the swaybar from the 4wd, as the 2wd and 4wd swaybars are different; you may also need the links. All the steering will interchange: drag links, tie rods, pitman arms, steering gear boxed, steering shafts, all of it. If you swap steering (say your 2wd steering to the 4wd) you may need an alignment to get the front wheels back in specs, which you will need to get after the swap anyway.

Rear end
You CAN NOT use the 4wd leaf springs on your 2wd. The 2wd springs are only 2.5" wide, whereas the 4wd springs are 3" wide. If you plan on cutting off the hangers with the springs, this does not pose a problem. Should you find yourself needing a couple extra inches in the rear and are deciding to use a stock 4wd block, be aware that the block IS WIDER than the springs, so using the stock spring plate will yield u-bolts that are not vertical, they will cant toward each other at top and away from each other at the bottom. The 4wd spring plate is too wide (remember 4wds have 3" wide springs), so you will either have to live with canted u-bolts or have some spring plates made. You will need the driveshaft from the 4wd chassis; when you go to start the rear end take notice of the pinion/yoke. Your 2wd may have a u-bolt style yoke where as the 4wd may have a companion flange setup. I believe that you should be able to swap these out with no problems, should you decide to keep your 2wd rear end. Both 4wd and 2wd rear ends will either be 8.8" or 9" if they are factory. U-joints should the same size/category between the two. Also, the 2wd rear swaybar (if yours has one) can stay with the 4wd conversion.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
One question others may ask.....

About the transfer case....does it have any mounting brakets that need to be taken from the 4wd truck to put it in the 2wd truck? I've never even taken the time to look at how mine is mounted

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transfer case is mounted to the transmission which is inturn held in place by the transmission mount. There shouldn't be anything bolted to the transfer case in terms of mounts.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
May want to either specify what years you are referring to, or create additional notes for different years. Like if it was a 70's truck with an NP205, you would need additional crossmember support from the donor truck.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
So can I do this with my 70 f-100? Or won't it work. Are you talking about swapping in a ttb or Solid front axle..

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hm, you raise an interesting point. I wouldn't have a clue about pre-85(?) or before Ford started using Borg Warner.

·
o[|||]o
11,147 Posts
muddinBronc said:
So can I do this with my 70 f-100? Or won't it work. Are you talking about swapping in a ttb or Solid front axle..
It kinda sounds like he is referring to a TTB swap (using the term "beams"). But all of the 2WD's would have had beams up front. :shrug

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
muddinBronc said:
This particular thread is about swaping Twin I beam suspension (2wd) for Twin Traction Beam (4wd) in 80-96 Ford F150s and Broncos. A 4wd swap for your isn't so easy. Idk about pre-73 but 73-79 2wd and 4wd frames are different. My guess is you're looking at a decent amount of fabricating to turn yours into 4wd.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
So basicly mine ain't worth it.. Well then I'll keep tryin to sell it

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't take my word for it. The best thing you can do for now is try to find a pic (seeing one in person would be better) of a bare pre-73 4wd frame and spot the differences between yours and the 4wd frame.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Well lets just say if I got real lucky and they were the same which I doubt it is it still not worth it to do it? whats all involved. I have searched but found nothing really relating to my truck. If you want maybe I should start a new one so I don't ruin your thread and have my posts moved by a mod to that one?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
T18/T19 to M50D or ZF 5 speed,you will need the transmission cover(floor board),as the shifters are in a different location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts