Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd start an "official" thread about this, since there really is no definitive information about FSB's that have been or were (in some instances still are) used across the US by Police, EMS & Federal agencies, etc.

Use this thread as the definitive source and/or info gathering about these rare and special equipped Broncos.

Some have come into the hands of private ownership, while others are still currently in use today at their specific agencies.

These trucks could have been used by the following Agencies:

Police (marked & unmarked)
EMS
Fire
Federal (FBI, DEA, Border Patrol, etc)
State DOT

If you live in an area that still "employs" such an FSB, PLEASE get any pics of the truck and post them here! If you have the time to inquire about it, see if the Agency will allow you to get any info about it and post that info too.

If you OWN one of these rare breeds of FSB's:

1) Please take a pic of your VCL decal (this is the large white decal that is affixed to either the driver's door OR the driver side B-pillar w/ door open). It's quite possible the VCL contains a special "DSO" order code. This code would be a designator for a Fleet/Agency order Bronco.

2) Please post up any pictures of your Agency Bronco and how you acquired it. If it was purchased via a Public auction, Dealer, Fleet sale or Agency Auction, etc., please put that info in this thread.

3) If your Agency Bronco was (or still is) equipped with ANY of it's prior Agency electronics equipment (radio gear, spotlights, overhead lights, wig-wags, antenna's, special interior equip/or lighting, etc) please also post up that information (and or document it via pics).

4) If your Agency Bronco was equipped with any exterior hardware (such as brush guards, push bars, lift kits, reinforced bumpers, etc), please note that information.

5) If you know or were told where your Bronco originally "served" and what it's duties were, please post that info as well.

6) If you found anything out of the ordinary inside of such a Bronco when you acquired it, post any such info as well.

~~~

This thread should hopefully grow and eventually contain LOTS of info & pics about these hard to find rigs, more so as the years pass. Hopefully it will turn into the definitive thread that can capture all the unanswered info that some folks seek about an Agency specific Bronco. :thumbup

Post up fellas - I know some of you have one of these rigs! :beer

·
Registered
325 Posts
i dont have one but here is a good bit of infor for ya. Many US boarder patrol Bronco's were equipped with Barn doors in the back insted of the tailgate. This was a conversion not done by ford but there were many boarder patrol fsb's that were equipped like this. my neighbor says he has a bunch of pictures ill see if i can get a hold of them.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
i dont have one but here is a good bit of infor for ya. Many US boarder patrol Bronco's were equipped with Barn doors in the back insted of the tailgate. This was a conversion not done by ford but there were many boarder patrol fsb's that were equipped like this. my neighbor says he has a bunch of pictures ill see if i can get a hold of them.
I would like to see a pic of that, I have been around broncos and the site for a bit and have never seen anything like that.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
Same with the fire district where I work. It's the fire marshall's rig, a 96, it's maroon, and I'd dearly love to get my hands on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I guess I'll be the first pic! This is a '96 Massachusetts State Police FSB, Unit #1644. This has lived an interesting life with the MaSP and was only recently sold at auction (this summer). It started as an unmarked unit (presumably narcotics). It was it's original blue. Then it became a marked unit over the factory blue paint, still retaining two spotlights. MaSP vehicles have one spotlight, plus it wasn't the "French and Electric Blue". So after a very, very short time as a marked, solid color, dual spotlight unit, everything was stripped back off, painted "French and Electric Blue" after filling the passenger's side spotlight hole, and remarked. Three different liveries, one truck. As it sits, it is mostly original and will be restored to proper MaSP specs this year after I'm done two of my other Special Service Package Mustang police cars.

It still retains the little L-shaped brackets from the Smittybilt grill guard that was on the front as well!

I'll have to dig up the photo I have of it in its second livery sitting aside another MaSP Bronco, one which it looked similar to in its third livery.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,115 Posts
Hmm, my girlfriends dad used to work boarder patrol down in arizona, said they used to all use Broncos with 2 inch lifts. I'll ask him if he's seen these barn doors in action.

·
No avatar required
10,955 Posts
I doubt it was a conversion, but maybe a camper type box. I will ask my brother, he is a BP agent. I know they use Super Duties with a priosner transport box in it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Crap, yep, San Diego County Sherrifs Vehicle. I will get the rest of the info over the next few days.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
120 Posts
My buddy has a 96 (I believe) border patrol Bronco, it has a 2 inch lift but other than that there is nothing really special about it. You can still see the faded Border Patrol stickers and such on it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
definately, the po, my neighbor is looking for the pictures right now, he says he got in contact with the people that did the barn doors way back but never got serious about the conversion. id love to see his pictures. this was back in the mid 80's too for a frame of refrence. I suppose they would keep building them like that up into the 90's though? ill check tomorrow to see if he could find them

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WasACop3436 -

Have you taken a look at your VCL decal on the driver's side B-pillar to see if it has a (6) digit DSO #? I'm curious to know if the Police/EMT/Gov't use Broncos were also issued (or ordered with) a special DSO like the 84-93 Mustangs.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I will look. But with all the searching I have done. All I have been able to figure out is that the bronco was a Black XLT with a tan interior, and was taken to a "conversion shop" to have all of the lights and such bolted on. :shrug

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1994 Bronco XL that I bought from the local city auction here in Fargo, ND. Under 92K, mechanically sound, few minor problems (fuel gauge, oil pressure sending unit). I only paid $1600 and I love this Bronco. I do not have any pictures of when I first got it. Not too long after buying, it got a six inch lift with extended radius arms. The best rig I have ever bought. Rides smooth, shifts smooth, everything works now (even the rear defrost). I wont trade this for anything.

It was used by a foreman for a city agency. I was told it only drove to and from jobsites. With under 100K, and no receiver on the back. I knew it was going to be mine.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I was a Border Patrol agent way back in the day when we got the "new" FS Broncos, and I never saw any barn-door conversions. They may have done something like this in other sectors, but I highly doubt it. They were externally stock, with the exception of lift kits and some with winches (supervisors).

The Tahoes we got in 1996-7 as replacements for the Broncos had barn doors from the factory. Maybe that's what he's thinking about.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts