Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
sami being bitchy when i slipped off the side of the tree.

winching uphill so i can cut the wheels, and drive it up the bank for a self recovery. still starts and runs like a sewing machine other than a little PS fluid on the header.
still had oil pressure!

·
Need a Bumper?
4,770 Posts
I woke up this morning to see my neighbors Land cruiser in a ****led state in his backyard.

He sent me this E-mail:

So here is the skinny on how I managed to destroy my Land Cruiser. We had been enjoying the sites up above treeline on the North Fork trail above Breckenridge. We turned onto Middle Fork and were heading back down hill. We had gone about a mile or so when we were coming to a steeper section. I performed a mild brake check and brought the cruiser to a stop just to make sure of the brakes. All seemed fine, so we kept going. I didn’t even say anything to anyone else as to why we were stopping and no one even noticed. About a half mile later we were approaching the steeper section. I again hit the brakes and they were fine. As we started downhill, I was using the brakes to slow us when the went to the floor. I began to pump the brakes and do everything I could to slow the vehicle. There just weren’t any brakes, period.

We were basically at the crest of the hill. It sloped off on all sides from us. We were going fast enough and it was steep enough that if I tried to turn out of it, it could have rolled us and who knows when we would have stopped rolling. It had been about a year since I was on this trail, but I remembered the tight turns and switchbacks, so I veered off the trail and went looking for a straighter ride down. The bottom was not in site, so I didn’t really have anything to aim for. We just picked up speed as we headed down and before long we were going so fast, and bouncing so much, there was little I could do to keep it under control. It felt like we were in the air as much as on the ground. I could feel the suspension bottom out on every hit (something I’m not used to feeling since I have almost 10” of travel from the resting position).

We were fast approaching the trail perpendicularly and there were some severe drop offs as the trail was cut into the mountain. The trail in this particular section was divided into two parts. One easier and one harder route. We jumped the first road and landed in between then jumped the second one. Because the two trails were so close together, we kind of bounced in the middle and were pitched in a nose down fashion as we flew over the second trail. We hit directly on the bumper on the crest of the trail as it starts to break downward. The vehicle hit at such a drastic angle that everyone thought we were going to go end over end (as they told me afterward of course). That would have surely been more disastrous, but fortunately, I felt the ground give way to the force of our impact and started to slid down hill. The right side gave way a little more and the vehicle shifted to the right. It landed sideways and of course, proceeded to roll. It landed on the right side on a pretty steep part. I believe it slid a few feet over a sharp rock before it continued its roll. We ended up rolling 1 ¼ times ending up on the passengers side.

I immediately checked to see that everyone was coherent. The windshield was blown out, so it made for any easy exit. It was kind of a scramble to get out as everyone was taking a different option. Once outside, I made a quick inventory of injuries. One had a hurt ankle, not sure if it was broken or not, but there was no blood. Sam, my son, had a deep cut on the palm of his hand, but not much blood. My wife had hit her head, but there were no cuts. The other two girls weren’t quite sure what was wrong, but they also had no blood. I immediately thought of our next step which was getting off the mountain. With the vehicle on its side, I knew we were losing precious fluids. I spotted a decent boulder up hill that we could winch from and grabbed the winch cable and started to pull it out. That is when I felt the pain in my shoulder and knew something was amiss in there. I called for Cammie, my wife, to help me get the cable out after she calmed everyone down and prayed with them. I also grabbed a tow rope to wrap the boulder with. I got it all hooked up and reached inside to operate the winch control on the dash. My wife and I also helped pick up the vehicle as I was pulling in cable. I grabbed the steering wheel as the vehicle started to right itself in order to ride it to an upright position as I held the in feed button. Once it was upright, I felt I could relax a bit and think about our next move.

At this point there was nothing else immediately pressing. Kids were asking for cell phones and water, so we managed to find each of their desired objects. Janessa was able to get cell reception, which was unbelievable. She immediately called her mom for help. I am good friends with her dad, so I had her tell him to get his 4-wheeler and anyone else available and head our way. Reception was a little shoddy, so it took several tries, but at least we were able to get a hold of someone and was assured help was on the way.

We bandaged wounds and calmed nerves for the next 5 to 10 minutes until some dirt bikers came down the trail. We had seen these guys about 1 mile up the trail as they were taking a break. There were some mountain goats that we had spooked and they ran down the trail in front of us until they came within 10 feet of the dirt bikers and turned off trail. We had joked as we drove by, “Seen any goats?” As they arrived, they saw us sitting on the rocks and our ****led land cruiser down below. They recognized us immediately from 10 minutes prior. They were a big help. Jacob and John did all the work for the next couple of minutes,. I merely grabbed whatever tool they requested. They asked if I could get it running. I had tried, but it only sputtered and blew blue smoke from oil in the cylinders. They jumped right in and helped get it started. We found a broken oil pressure line which they proceeded to take apart and fix with some 2 part epoxy that I had on hand. They also found the broken brake line on the right front. It appeared that something had hit it and cut the line, which burst under pressure. We put a pair of vice grips on it and tried the brakes, they were a little spongy at first, but pumped up nicely. We also had to pinch off a heater hose as the heater core was punctured and leaking.

Once all these items had been addressed, John jumped in and fired it up. We put it in gear and tried to move it, but realized that we were out of tranny fluid. So, tranny fluid and changing of the right rear tire was all that I could see immediately wrong with it before I could start to remove the vehicle under its own power. With the rescue mission under way, only 3 qts of tranny fluid and no hi lift jack, I decided to wait until morning to get the vehicle out. Besides, I was really feeling the pain from my shoulder. I was basically grabbing my shirt with my left hand about mid chest to disable my shoulder from too much movement.

Jacob had to get back since he needed to drive to Denver to get his wife from the airport that afternoon. Since there was not much else to be done, they left. Other dirt bikers stopped and asked what they could do to help. One gal filtered water from the creek into our water bottle for us since only one water bottle had survived the crash and it was near empty. Cammie comforted the girls as I surveyed the wreck and tried to analyze the descent. The girls were quite shook up and in need of more than Cammie could provide. This is one of the amazing things that happened. One lone dirt biker appeared on the scene. As he stopped and was shutting off his bike, he looked a t Janessa and asked, “are you one of the Bower, I mean booer, or buer girls?” This turned out to be a friend of the family. A guy that Janessa’s mom works with. He was heaven sent. He stayed and talked with us and joked about things. It doesn’t seem like much, in fact, I’ll bet he doesn’t even think he did anything, but just his presence had a calming effect on the girls, especially Janessa.

He stayed for quite a while and then had to go. We only had about another 10 minute wait until I spotted a vehicle down the trail. There was a fork in the trail just beyond site, but I was able to see each leg of the trail. The vehicle had taken the wrong trail, at least if they were trying to find us. They stopped when I was flashing light at them using the driver’s side mirror that had broken off. After a short period of time sitting there, they proceeded in the direction that they started with. I was disappointed and questioned my ability to use a mirror. Within about 2 minutes, a dirt bike appeared and I repeated my mirror tactic. They too had started in the wrong path, but after seeing the mirror reflecting the light, they turned around and headed our way. It still took about 3 minutes to reach us, but it turned out to be the first half of our rescue party. There was also a 4 wheeler behind him. Nate and Pete arrived and had water and jackets for us. The dilemma was not enough room for all the people to ride back with them. Cammie and I decided to stay behind and wait for a return trip.

Just as the people were leaving, a Hummer was pulling up. He offered a ride back down and of course, we took it!

As we were riding back, I inquired as to how he happened upon us. He said that he was just driving around and happened on some dirt bikers that informed them of our misfortune and told him to keep on the trail and turn left at all intersections. He followed their directions until they did not make sense. As it turns out, the dirt biker must have looked at the directions as he was leaving as it should have been mostly RIGHT turns that were to be made instead of lefts. This of course, led them on many scenic drives, but not in our direction. Because of their persistence, they were able to find us and offer assistance. As it was, we made it to the trailhead on tiger Rd. just as the sun was setting behind the mountains. A quick ride home and some Wendy’s burgers shortly thereafter and we were all talking about the day as if it were History already, but, I guess in many ways, it was!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
With that many rolls it looks like the cab stayed in tacked pretty good. I am glad everyone is ok.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Holy hell. Glad everyone was ok. How did they get the truck out?

·
I Paid for this sh!t
664 Posts

i know the guy who was driving this (hes ok now, but he didnt walk away) .. its in a junkyard now, so thats why the engine is missing

·
Lick my balls
13,047 Posts

i know the guy who was driving this (hes ok now, but he didnt walk away) .. its in a junkyard now, so thats why the engine is missing
From the looks of that seat, I would have bet the driver was killed. He is a lucky SOB...can he still walk?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My old bronco II I went off to big of a drop off. Real slow roll over. Rolled it back over and drove it the rest of the weekend.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea I saw all those trucks in the backgroung too, I need a number to that salvage yard and prey they ship. Also Ive never seen mono chrome paint on a bronco becides a "nite".

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah what was it? Looks like it's time for a bronco buggy.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts