Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the purpose of the clicking fill caps merely to ensure one does not overtighten?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Basically, yes. That way, you don't over-torque the caps onto the filler necks and break them off. Have you ever had to remove a broken filler cap? A real PITA!

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yo da Shadofax,
This is in 96 Bronco Owner's Guide (aka, "Manual") by Hiller Ford;
"...To replace and secure the fuel cap; place it in position and rotate it clockwise until it clicks (ratchets). Doing so will not damage or break he fuel cap. The ratcheting mechanism allows the fuel cap to be sealed without overtightening..."

page 282 at http://www.hillerford.com/resource_library/owner_manuals_pdf/1996_owner_manuals_ford/96bronco.pdf
Mine broke, or at least the ratcheting part did (oil fill cap, not gas).:banghead

it actually was easy removing it, that's how I discovered the cap is in 2 parts you can snap back together. So I removed the ratcheting pieces, got out the JB quick weld and did up a batch. Stuck that in one part of the cap and snapped the 2 parts back together. So now I can just hand tighen it, no ratcheting. Just wanted to see if there was any further purpose I was missing.

So if you ever run into someone that can't remove their broken ratchet in the oil cap, there is a way to do this pretty easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts