Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime i do an oil change, I'll run my motor for a while just to get pressure & check for leeks nwhatnot. Then when I check it again after a few minutes, it has already turned as black as the oil I just drained. Someone told me that they've run kerosene through thier motor for a bit. Has anyone else tried this.

·
broncofied
1,475 Posts
Sea foam, off road diesel fuel, kerosene, just something to help eat the sludge out use a good filter maybe 1-2 quarts of your chosen cleaner and only bout 5-10 minutes idling:thumbup

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Do you change the filter when you change the oil?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
ToddACimer said:
Do you change the filter when you change the oil?
I was just wondering the same thing.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
what do your spark plugs look like?

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
Seriously guys, do you really want to run something through your motor designed to break oil down, when the oil is what keeps your motor from locking up or keeping wear down. There is more of a problem than a can of seafoam or kersene is going to fix by "cleaning the oil".

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
its not cleaning the oil, its cleaning all the sludge and gunk out of the oil pan and the whole system. after you run that stuff through there, you change the oil again and take the oil pan off to get the loosened up stuf out.
Isn't it almost impossible to just "pull the pan" without pulling the motor?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yea, you have to at least raise it just a little.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I change the oil and filter every 2500-3000mi. When I first bought the truck I tuned it up, and the #8 plug(furthest back drivers side,#8 I think) looked soaked in oil and the rest of the plugs looked good. It hasn't done that in 2 years though. Plus during cold start up there is a bit of greyish white smoke coming out of drivers side tail pipe(headers and duals).

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
What kind of oil and filter are you using?

·
broncofied
1,475 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
its not cleaning the oil, its cleaning all the sludge and gunk out of the oil pan and the whole system. after you run that stuff through there, you change the oil again and take the oil pan off to get the loosened up stuf out.

Exactely that's why i only said ten minutes max. It's not idealistic to get rid of sludge but it works:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Ron Smith said:
I change the oil and filter every 2500-3000mi. When I first bought the truck I tuned it up, and the #8 plug(furthest back drivers side,#8 I think) looked soaked in oil and the rest of the plugs looked good. It hasn't done that in 2 years though. Plus during cold start up there is a bit of greyish white smoke coming out of drivers side tail pipe(headers and duals).
Try running this in the engine(vicious stuff)

(never under load) for 15 minutes at high idle just before you drop the oil. Keeps mine clean. Two more oil and filter changes within a week of each should clean her out.

Make darn sure you have a genuine Ford PCV valve and splurge on a new oil breather filter too.

I've Seafoamed the intake and dropped it in the tank, but like 85F150 says do you really want to run it through your bearings under load ?

Sixlitre

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
I have doen the kerosene/diesel fuel trick before. Did it to a 51 Ford that sat for 15 years. Did it to my demolition derby motors. Not only should you run it for about 10-15 minutes, but depending on how bad it is, you may want to leave it soak for a few hours also. I would empty the oil, but leave the old filter in place. Put in about 4 quarts of diesel or kero, then let run for no more than 15 minutes. Empty and change oil filter. Put new oil in. Change all again after running about 500 miles. Check oil pan for sludge build up. If so remove pan and clean (get new screen also) And yes you have to raise the engine to remove the pan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts