Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Bronco with a 5.8 engine. I have developed a coolant leak at my oil cooler. I have read where I can delete the oil cooler altogether. My question is this. Can I just leave the cooler in place, remove the 2 hoses from the cooler and replace my lower hose with one that is for an engine without the cooler? It's my understanding that the oil cooler just has coolant circulating through the sandwich panel, in and out. If this is the case, what would it hurt to just leave it all intact and eliminate the feeder hoses?
These coolers are hard to find, except at the dealer for $150.00, and the lower hose is pretty expensive as well. Not trying to be a cheap scape, just don't want to waste money if I can keep from it. I would really like to get your advice. Thanks.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,010 Posts
If you’re gonna do that, why don’t you just remove the cooler altogether and change to the larger oil filter? I don’t think there would be an issue with running with the oil cooler disconnected from the cooling system, but I would probably just remove it at my next oil change and go with the larger oil filter for non-oil cooler applications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you’re gonna do that, why don’t you just remove the cooler altogether and change to the larger oil filter? I don’t think there would be an issue with running with the oil cooler disconnected from the cooling system, but I would probably just remove it at my next oil change and go with the larger oil filter for non-oil cooler applications.
I have never had one of the coolers off before and I don't know what it is like with it removed. So with it gone, how does the filter install? Also, you said a larger oil filter would be needed. Do you know which filter will work for this situation?

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,010 Posts
I have never had one of the coolers off before and I don't know what it is like with it removed. So with it gone, how does the filter install? Also, you said a larger oil filter would be needed. Do you know which filter will work for this situation?
To remove the cooler, you need a hex key (Allen) wrench that fits in the stud where your current filter screws on. After you remove this stud, the cooler will come off (and will probably need to be pried a little because there is an o-ring between it and the block. Just clean up this mating surface and use a standard oil filter like a Motorcraft FL-1A.

Also, if you want, you could probably pressure test the cooler to find the leak and solder it up and replace it.

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,010 Posts
Man thanks for the pictures, that helps a lot. Do you know what size that Hex key is?
I don’t off the top of my head - it was large though - maybe the largest or second largest I had lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t off the top of my head - it was large though - maybe the largest or second largest I had lol.
Thanks for the advice man. This has been a big help. I hope to have time to work on it this weekend, I may have more questions when I start......so stand by! lol

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I would suggest to buy an after market oil cooled ,,, i think the truck needs it as they generally have overheat issues anyways

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,387 Posts
I used a 7/16" hex socket to remove mine. 7/16" = .4375" , 11mm = .43307" just some extra info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts