Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my remote filter set up and ran into this for the cooler set up. I cannot find anything like it on line. It was there when I bought the truck. Any ideas if there are a going to be issues putting a remote filter before this setup. The cooler lines ore going into the lower radiator hose.

sandwich.jpg
oilcooler.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am working on my remote filter set up and ran into this for the cooler set up. I cannot find anything like it on line. It was there when I bought the truck. Any ideas if there are a going to be issues putting a remote filter before this setup. The cooler lines ore going into the lower radiator hose.

View attachment 152927 View attachment 152928
No you should be fine doing a remote filter off of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo wileec,
"On the 5.8L engine and 7.5L engine, the oil cooler is part of the oil filter adapter. The lower radiator hose (8286) attaches to the inlet side of the oil cooler and the oil cooler outlet hose connects to the inlet side of the water pump (8501). Oil going to the full-flow oil filter (6731) passes through the oil cooler as well.

Oil Filter/Adapter/Oil Cooler
Removal

1. Position a drip pan under the oil filter.
  1. Unscrew the oil filter from the oil cooler mounting bolt insert (6L626) using an Oil Filter Wrench D79L-6731-A or B or equivalent and clean the oil cooler mounting bolt insert.
    Unscrew the oil filter from the oil cooler mounting bolt insert, turn it horizontal and let the excess oil drain off. Slide the oil filter toward the rear of the vehicle and remove. Some effort may be required to slide the oil filter between the engine crossmember and power steering hoses.
  1. If it is necessary to remove the oil cooler, drain the cooling system. Refer to Section 03-03. Disconnect coolant lines from oil cooler adapter.
  1. Remove oil filter mounting adapter bolt and O-ring.
  1. Remove oil cooler mounting bolt insert and oil cooler.
Installation

1. CAUTION: Make sure gasket from removed oil filter has not stuck to the oil cooler mounting bolt insert. Wipe oil cooler mounting bolt insert clean prior to installing new oil filter.

Coat the gasket on a new oil filter with recommended quality engine oil. Place the new oil filter in position on the oil cooler mounting bolt insert.
  1. Hand-tighten the oil filter until the gasket makes contact and then advance it one-half turn.
  1. NOTE: Be sure O-ring for oil filter adapter mounting bolt is positioned properly before bolt installation.
    If oil cooler was removed, reverse removal procedure to install. Fill and bleed cooling system. Refer to Section 03-03.
  1. CAUTION: To prevent oil from entering the PCV system during air-powered oil fills, the closure hose should be disconnected from the oil fill pipe (6A868) and positioned away from the oil source. Cover the hose port with a shop towel to prevent oil from spilling onto the engine during oil fill. Reconnect the closure hose after the oil has been filled to the proper level.

Check the oil level and fill the crankcase with engine oil of the quality recommended in the Owner Guide as necessary.
  1. Operate the engine (6007) at fast idle and check for oil leaks. If oil leaks are evident, perform the necessary repairs to correct the leakage. Remove the drip pan."
By Ford

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,220 Posts
If you're looking to replace the existing one... I found a new one when I rebuilt my '95's 351 here:

AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake,
1493 East County Road E
White Bear Lake, Minnesota, 55110
USA
1-800-328-9552 / 651-484-8888

Order Content

Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantity
Total
F4TZ-6A642-AOil Cooler$164.651
$164.65​

Subtotal:​
$164.65​
Shipping (FedEx Ground U.S. Shipping - FedEx Ground Home Delivery):​
$19.92​
Total:​
$184.57​

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
No, the remote kit adapter should screw on in place of the old filter. My 94 was set up with a dual remote setup and the same oil cooler as yours. It was as I described. The oil cooler functions by cycling coolant through that spacer. Oil doesnt go anywhere through those hoses. It simply travels through the spacer, into the filter, and back through the spacer. You can remove the cooler completely and run a single FL1A filter there as well. It does require a radiator hose from a truck without the oil cooler.

Btw, are you going to bronco Safari this year??

·
Man of endless projects
8,911 Posts
the late 351 came with facotry oil coolers. it can be removed if needed. i honestly am not a big fan of them. they use a smaller oil filter but also the thread is different than the standard non-cooled filters. if you plan on keeping the factory cooler in place doing the remote filter kit, you need an kit with with m22-1.5 thread adapter. if you remove the cooler you need 3/4-16 thread adapter

i remove the coolers and perfer to use a standard fullsize filter. you can always run a cooler inline with the remove filter kit.

·
Registered
567 Posts
What's the downside to removing the cooler?

Picture for anyone wondering...

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo Eddie,
Ford didn't address it in the 96 workshop manual as they did for radiator cooling.

But i believe it would lead to "Engine Overheats"

·
I'm OBSessed
332 Posts

Picture for anyone wondering...

View attachment 152970
Removed mine a few years ago on my 94. A 302 lower hose fits the spot where the fancy 351 lower hose would go. My bronco is a plow truck and I’ve never had any overheating issues. I’ve got a write up somewhere on here on what you’ll need to do to remove it and the tools needed. You’ll run a full size FL1A filter after removal, versus an fl820s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
I blew a hole in my oil cooler lower rad hose in my 96 f350. Replaced it with a hose from a non-oil cooler truck. The cooler is still on there too. No issues. Eventually I'll remove it.

·
Man of endless projects
8,911 Posts
downside is the oil isnt cooled. which is not much of a downside when the 351w for decades ran without them jsut fine. cheaper oil might last abit longer with the cooler since it wont break down as much from heat. ive always questioned how much it actually cools the oil anyways.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
On my 94, the dual filter kit was mounted to the inside of the passenger frame rail, basically under the core support. Easiest oil changes I've ever done.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On my 94, the dual filter kit was mounted to the inside of the passenger frame rail, basically under the core support. Easiest oil changes I've ever done.
That sounds like a good area. I had not thought about the other side of the engine.

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,220 Posts
That's where I installed my trans fluid filter.

Are there concerns about complete drainage, the further you get from the stock mount or is it just... I've changed MOST of my oil, that last little bit should blend fine?

·
Addicted to Junk
11,122 Posts
You never get all the oil out anyways, so I never worried about it. Most of the oil in my old lines would drain out anyways.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts