Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey folks,

I just bought a 93 Eddie Bauer w/351. fairly good looking truck, needs some work done to it though. The story: I bought it without checking it out for $300 (so it doesnt matter much since at least i can get double over the scales) My plan was to take that and my 87 and make one that functions. well I put a battery in it and it started up great. runs very well, seems a tad high in idle. started smoking like mad from underneath. oil pan gasket was blown out on both sides near the rear. i drained the oil and looks like a chocolate milkshake and smells like gas.

I am good when it come to fixing, just don't know a whole lot about diagnosing. could the color/smell and blowout of gasket be related to a certain issue?

it doesnt smoke from the exhaust and the exhaust smells "normal". My first thought is head gasket, which I know can give the milkshake oil. Thing is though, should I spend the money to fix it (myself of course) since I don't know if they drove it like that for a long time and maybe killed more of the engine?

Any more diagnosis I should do that wont cost me any money or very little? I really don't have much money, but usually very resourceful. leak down test, right?

I need to be off to work so when i remote back into this computer I will answer any more questions that i can.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
you can also get a milkshake from a bad lower intake leaking coolant into the engine.

or from it sitting for a loooooong time, condensation builds up in the engine. if there's enough of this, the oil will be contaminated. happened to me on my old minivan, it sat for almost 3 months, and i ended up with a milkshake upon re-start.

it could just be running excessively rich and that's why it smells like gas. it doesn't take much gas to make things stink.

do a compression test, and post your numbers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can also get a milkshake from a bad lower intake leaking coolant into the engine.

or from it sitting for a loooooong time, condensation builds up in the engine. if there's enough of this, the oil will be contaminated. happened to me on my old minivan, it sat for almost 3 months, and i ended up with a milkshake upon re-start.

it could just be running excessively rich and that's why it smells like gas. it doesn't take much gas to make things stink.

do a compression test, and post your numbers.

I did forget to mention that the previous owners did let it set for a long time, roughly 3-4 years and when i went to remove the pan bolts, they were on super tight. so maybe they blew the pan seal out by being stupid and sitting so long got moisture in it. Ok, so what i will do is first run the compression/ leakdown test. Thanks for the input. I will see if i can "rent" the tool from advanced auto tomorrow and post up what i get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sitting doesn't put moisture in the oil or the gasket, and no amount of moisture in either would cause it to blow out. It's out either because the bolts were too tight, or it wasn't installed correctly, or there was too much pressure in the crankcase. My guess is that he tightened the bolts AFTER the gasket went.

This caption describes how to do a compression test correctly:

hey thanks for that! saves me from searching for it myself :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compression test results: Dry run ony since i dont have anything to squirt a bit of oil down there,:::

100 [0] [0] 105
120 [0] [0] 115
110 [0] [0] 115
115 [0] [0] 100
-------^---front of engine

All the numbers seem a bit low? So... ... whats next? should i just clean it out and fresh oil/filter and see what happens? would these numbers show anything of the head gasket being bad? The test was done on a cold engine.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
eh, their "ok". and not much more than that. rule of thumb is to only have 10% variance from lowest cylinder to highest, you have 20%. it makes for a smoother running engine.

i'd put oil in it an run it.

when you say "it started smoking like mad from underneath" what exactly do you mean? was it blowing smoke out the exhaust (if so what color) or was it just smoking underhood and smelling nasty?

if it has leaky valve cover gaskets (which i'm sure it does) the smoke could just be from the oil leaking out of them and onto the exhaust manifolds, therefore burning off and being smokey when it runs for a few minutes.

you need to let the engine run for awhile, making sure it doesn't overheat and that it runs ok. if it does anything dramatically stupid, obviously shut it down.

they can do really stupid shit after they sit for long periods, and run like crap for awhile. give it a little time before you call it junk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

when you say "it started smoking like mad from underneath" what exactly do you mean? was it blowing smoke out the exhaust (if so what color) or was it just smoking underhood and smelling nasty?

It was smoking from the oil dripping out of the blown pan gasket and dripping onto the exhaust pipe that crosses over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you get a chance post some pics of your 93. That's a killer deal.
I actually paid $300 cash and traded a very junk old 78 cruisemaster motorhome.
was worth about 500 tops over the scales. but i got that for free. so still a $300 investment.

The guy already started on the bodywork. and he gave me the patch panel for the drivers side rear fender as well.

Anyway though, yeah, tomorrow I am going to change the oil pan gasket, do oil and filter and will run her for a bit and let ya'll know what happens :p

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
:rolleyes: It's not quite as "loaded" now as it was from the factory. ;) Hub locks, taillights, rims, spare carrier, door mirrors, door panels, door handles, door lock cylinders, both bumpers... And that's without seeing the interior, engine, or suspension. I'm not saying it was a bad purchase - just that it's FAR from "top-of-the-line".
Better to pay $300 than $5500 for the same model. As long as all the interior is there it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah: a LOT of easy fixes. :thumbup :histerica
:thumbup I have almost all of those parts. The previous owner had taken them all off and stuck them inside. definitely needs a new steering column as he didnt have a key and now i just have to push the bar deal on the ignition module thingamajig. I also have the 87 next to my name over there
<--------

to use for whatever fits

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
have fun "just changing the oil pan gasket". it is a HUGE pain in the ass. i have not done one personally, but i've read about them.

i wouldn't do it just yet. run it, let it leak. make sure it runs alright.

why put several hours of work into an engine that could be junk? you don't quite know just yet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
have fun "just changing the oil pan gasket". it is a HUGE pain in the ass. i have not done one personally, but i've read about them.

i wouldn't do it just yet. run it, let it leak. make sure it runs alright.

why put several hours of work into an engine that could be junk? you don't quite know just yet.
Haha, he has no idea what he's in for. Make sure you stock up on some brewskis before you get started.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.