Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i just bought a bronco with a 460 in it, the pan has the deepest part toward the front of the vehicle, and when i did the oil change, i put like 4 quarts in and it said it was over full. now i'm not a guru on this stuff, but i'm pretty sure the 460 takes more than 4 quarts. i'm pretty sure the dipstick is the wrong one for the motor. it doesn't even seat in the tube properly. it just rattles around. i called some places in town to see if they had em and they said try some boneyards. i also have a friend with old ford trucks to see if he had spares, but he says that cause the sump is toward the front that the conversion was done wrong. the sump has to be in the rear so he said just get a whole new pan and works for the motor. i'm not sure what to do, any suggestions? of course the places i called said it could be hard to track down the proper dipstick because i have no idea what this motor came out of or what year it is. the guy i bought it from doesn't either. thanks, any help would be great.

·
Registered
434 Posts
yea you need the rear sump for the bronco because of the 4wd axle, rear sump pans are pretty expensive, i bought one on ebay for 215, that included the dipstick, tube, and pickup tube, just have to get an oil pump for the rear sump,
you can change the pan with out taking the motor out if you have a lift that will let your front end hang down. had to take mine off after i put it in because the oil pump shaft that goes to the distrubtor came off and did it easy in my morning auto mechanics class at my high school
hope this helps
justin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thanks very much. and i was looking again underneath it tonight and i noticed that the exhaust runs right under were the high part of the pan is. so the exhaust would have to be moved...its got a 6inch lift on it. i'd rather not drop a couple hundred on a new pan right now. money is a touch tight cause i just bought the thing. i dunno what i'm going to do. and the fact that the exhaust will be in the way is kinda stopping me from jumping right into swapping pans. but thanks again for the info. much appreciated.

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
You got a motor out of a Ford car...cars are front sump and trucks/broncos are all rear sump. I'm surpised the guy got it in there with the front sump.

·
Registered
434 Posts
might can keep it like that...just don't want the axle hitting the oilpan, not sure how much room is between the pan and the axle but it might be ok with a 6inch lift because i heard that if the bronco was lifted you didn't need to worry about the oilpan unless you'll be flexing alot and hitting it...just a thought,
yea you probly would have to move the exhaust and reroute it
hope this helps at all and good luck with the bronco
justin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i also heard that another good reason for putting the rear sump pan on is when you're hitting up a lot of big hills its good to have the oil coming out of the back. that way you're motor is safer. i would like to do that, but like i said with the exhaust being in the way it just really blows. i'm in college right now and i just dropped the money for the truck so i'd rather not drop a chunk more. so i gotta do a little more research and thinking. thanks guys. i looked in the manuals i have and they all say 460's take 5 quarts of oil. is that true for all the motors (generally speaking). a guy i work with said if the motor takes 5 quarts, just change the oil, put 5 in and make a mark on the dipstick were it should be. don't even drop the money. so i dunno what i'm going to do. but again thanks guys for the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
couple things.

front sump pans also came in two wheel drive trucks. my f-350 has one :thumbup

with the 6" lift you should be okay to run a front sump pan clearance wise as long as you aren't out jumping it. like the other guy said though there is a chance for tarving the pump of oil on hill climbs. Is your dipstick coming out of the oil pan or the timing chain cover? both were options for the 460.

im with the guy that told you to just make a mark at the 5 quart level for the matter of simplicity :thumbup

·
Registered
689 Posts
with my 4 inch lift i only put a small dent in my pan from the dana 44.....and that was from a 4 foot jump

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey thanks guys, i don't think i'm going to switch pans at this point. and i've looked around in some boneyards and i found one 460 with a dipstick. its still not the correct one, but i can see what the problem is. a piece has busted off of the dipstick in my truck. thats why it doesn't seat correctly in there and thats why it doesn't read properly. and as for were the dipstick goes into, i'm not a hundred percent sure. it looks like the timing chain cover. what does that mean?? i've also heard that dealers could still get these parts. so i think i might just give them a call. just to be sure. cause i've called all the yards around here and there is jack crap. which sucks. but yeah, what does it mean if it comes out of the cover and not straight from the pan? on a lighter note i took it wheeling for the first time today. there is a sand pit down the road from me and the thing performed pretty well. i've never had bfg mud/ts before and i can't believe how much these things dig in the sand. it was nuts. i'm almost tempted to swap the all/t's i have on my 79 to this 78 before i head to the dunes. but i love this new bronco, its got the power and the gearing and locker which all kick serious ass. i'm itching for silver now. just gotta get a few more quirks worked out...

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
The 429/460 motors had a dipstick either in the front of the timing cover or the driver side of the pan. Leave what you have in there provided you have enuf lift to clear the pan under full compression of the suspension. Add 5 qts of oil and scratch a new mark on the dipstick you got.

·
Registered
652 Posts
thegriz said:
hey thanks guys, i don't think i'm going to switch pans at this point. and i've looked around in some boneyards and i found one 460 with a dipstick. its still not the correct one, but i can see what the problem is. a piece has busted off of the dipstick in my truck. thats why it doesn't seat correctly in there and thats why it doesn't read properly. and as for were the dipstick goes into, i'm not a hundred percent sure. it looks like the timing chain cover. what does that mean?? i've also heard that dealers could still get these parts. so i think i might just give them a call. just to be sure. cause i've called all the yards around here and there is jack crap. which sucks. but yeah, what does it mean if it comes out of the cover and not straight from the pan? on a lighter note i took it wheeling for the first time today. there is a sand pit down the road from me and the thing performed pretty well. i've never had bfg mud/ts before and i can't believe how much these things dig in the sand. it was nuts. i'm almost tempted to swap the all/t's i have on my 79 to this 78 before i head to the dunes. but i love this new bronco, its got the power and the gearing and locker which all kick serious ass. i'm itching for silver now. just gotta get a few more quirks worked out...
Yeah I bought a 76' lincold and it had the front sump, with the dipstick in the timing cover, the oilpan had a big dent in it and wouldn't let the dipstick go in all the way, I switched to the rear sump pan kit from JBG and i am happy with it. Just had to go to autozone and spend $35 on the rear sump pump, not bad. get the pump for like a 78-79 ford van w/460 or like a mid 80's f-250/350 w 460, all the same

1 - 11 of 11 Posts