Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i've got a small leak from my oil drain plug so i was gonna replace the drain plug gasket.

when I picked up a new pack of them it said to replace the gaskets everytime. anyone actually do this?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
only if the gaskets are soooooo cheaply made that they risk cracking every time you tighten them OR they are so cheaply made that they cant handle the heat cycling that occurs naturally in a motor. Where did you get them ? Autoslut or Krapken ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
just replaced mine the original o ring lasted 16 years, where did you find the o rings, I ended up getting the whole plug from ford, figured it was worth it if it lasts another 16 years

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
saw that at orielly's mine was leaking so i decided i was gonna replace it and the package said replace it every time i had never herd that b4

the one on it was old chewed up cracking rubber. they had some copper rings but the ones i picked up were nylon rings

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Go to Ford and get the factory set-up, The ones that they sell in the 3 pac all say to replace every oil change simply because they are cheaply made, Deadsoft aluminum will last a very long time. One time I bought and installed a drain plug gasket that was hard but not brittle, It didnt make sense to me but I used it anyways. It leaked right off the bat... Upon further inspection the dam thing was pourus like a Grahm cracker. It was designed to leak ! it couldn't help it- some things cant be faked and you have to go to the dealership for-

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think that stated as extra caution, but you can use these more than once, I haven't changed mined in about 6 oil changes. Same plug & gasket and no leaks.
true, most of the time they can be used more than once, as I did this on my vw, but sometimes I would have to change them before the next scheduled oil change because they would start to seap a little

1 - 9 of 9 Posts