Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a little bit of condensation on the filler cap 94 302 I just bought. How much is normal? I wiped it off after noticing and drove back and forth to work and checked and there was some more. My drive home from work is 15 minutes and less than 10 miles. No obvious steam in the exhaust when cold and dipstick oil looks normal. Also, the coolant temp gauge and gas gauge are both stuck all the way left, do they share anything that'll cause them both to break?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is it just condensation or is it milky looking oil? Just condensation means you aren't running the engine at operating temperature long enough to evaporate the condensation. Milky looking oil means problems. Have you tried testing the temp gauge to see if it even works? It can be easily done by removing the connector at the temp sensor and grounding it to the engine. Once grounded, turn the key on and see if the gauge goes to full hot. If it does the gauge is working and you likely have a bad temp sensor or open thermostat (or both). If it doesn't move the gauge itself it bad.

·
Registered
642 Posts
After running it for a while, do you get steam coming out when you remove the dipstick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After running it for a while, do you get steam coming out when you remove the dipstick?
No steam, none that I saw at least. No steam out of the filler cap when I took it off either. I just tested the gauge and that works fine so the temp gauge is good probably the sender.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
didn't catch where you were from
if it is cold there,it is not uncommon to have moisture build up in the engine from condensation af shutting down a warm engine in the cold,like others mentioned

change the oil if you haven't yet to rid of any moisture in it
only way to stop it from happening is to go the long way to work and warm it up completely
happens to pretty much any engine that is used short trips in the cold climate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
didn't catch where you were from
if it is cold there,it is not uncommon to have moisture build up in the engine from condensation af shutting down a warm engine in the cold,like others mentioned

change the oil if you haven't yet to rid of any moisture in it
only way to stop it from happening is to go the long way to work and warm it up completely
happens to pretty much any engine that is used short trips in the cold climate
I was kinda thinking it was this. I'm in New Jersey, it's been a bit nippy. Looking over the POs notes it's been sitting for a few months and it's been taken on a bunch of short test rides when he was selling it.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
That sensor needs the threads to provide a ground, so if you use teflon tape, only use a single wrap, any other thread sealer would be fine.
The sensor has a tapered thread, that means it gets bigger the further you screw it in. If you overtighten it you can crack the manifold. It doesn't have to be that tight, tighten it by hand, then maybe a 1/2 turn. Thermal cycle the engine (warm it up and let is cool off) and check for leaks, if it leaks tighten it a little more, but be careful.

Good Luck and welcome to FSB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts