Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know what thread the oil filter mount stud is? i need to chase it with a die.. filter is tight

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would grab a correct oil filter for your truck, take thyself to the hardware store of choice, and do a fit check with a bolt.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Only problem I see with putting a bolt in it is even if you get the one that fits in the filter it doesn't mean that it is the right size. By this I mean is if you have the wrong filiter you will be fawked every time you need a filter because it could be different than stock if the threads you "rethreaded" it...make sense?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
There is no need to rethread it, just replace it. I never realized this until I built my motor last year, but that threaded fitting that the oil filter spins onto is replaceable. I know that because my block came without one, and I went and bought a replacement one from the dealer. It wasn't even very expensive.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:stupid It is a 3/4-16 thread, assuming it's not a later-model with a metric thread (FL-820 filter iirc), but not really worth running a die over. They should have them at one of your local dealership parts counters.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
It would probably be easily replaceable in the truck as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
:stupid It is a 3/4-16 thread, assuming it's not a later-model with a metric thread (FL-820 filter iirc), but not really worth running a die over. They should have them at one of your local dealership parts counters.
AFAIK, the "stud" is just a replaceable threaded insert. Grab a deep socket, remove the old insert and put a new one in, problem solved.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It depends on a few things, but normally the answer is no. Almost all of them had English threads up through 1993. Unless you have a mutant like mine with a late-year build date (July 1993, F4TE block but English/FL1A oil filter w/ no cooler), a 1993 shouldn't be metric. I haven't personally seen a '93 with an oil cooler, but that sure doesn't mean they don't exist.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
It depends on a few things, but normally the answer is no. Almost all of them had English threads up through 1993. Unless you have a mutant like mine with a late-year build date (July 1993, F4TE block but English/FL1A oil filter w/ no cooler), a 1993 shouldn't be metric. I haven't personally seen a '93 with an oil cooler, but that sure doesn't mean they don't exist.

I would say you may be right. The purolator site lists the filter I use, the L24651 (shorter, with metric thread) only for '94-96 with 5.8. Everthing else is an L30001, specs:

Type of Filter: Spin-on
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
O.D.: 3.78
Thread Pitch: UNF-2B

Height: 5.14
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 8-16
Threads: 3/4-16

specs for the L24651:
Type of Filter: Spin-on
Threads: M22x1.5-6H
Thread Pitch: Special
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

O.D.: 3.77
Height: 3.73
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 8-16

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks again,no oil cooler,filter was tight coming off and tight going back on but no leaks..next oil change i'll swap it out just want to get prepared for it..

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It's funny they said they can't get it any longer. The douche, actually douches since I went to more than one, at the Ford dealer I went to yesterday told me they couldn't get an EGR tube for a 1995 CA model Bronco with a 5.8L (same one for a 1996 50-state 5.8L). :enforce So, luckily I was armed with a calibration code, and both original and service part numbers. Drove all the way down to Kalamazoo to get 'er, and it's in possession now. Gonna be interesting getting this to work on my GT40 setup. :D

I bet if you find a newer part number for them, they'll be able to get it. Just a hunch. The computer system at Ford dealer parts counters is shit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts