Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco XLT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,
I'm attempting to solve one of the many fluid ( oil) leaks I have. I'm starting with my air box because it's easy to get to and I'm hoping it wont be too challenging to resolve.
I have oil that appears to be coming from this breather tubing that is connected near the oil cap. It's making a pretty big mess.
Could anyone tell me what may be causing this and perhaps give some suggestions on what I need to do?
I have almost no experience with any of this and I would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Eddie Bauer 5.8
31 Posts
That’s the breathing tube for the Crankcase ventilation system. You can replace the filter element for that breather within the air box. There is always going to be some oil getting through there, unless you remove it and run a stand-alone breather on the valve cover. Extreme amounts of oil pressure in the valve cover could be sign of a bad valve seal, but I would either do a leak down test or check for carbon buildup around the valves. Honestly my money is on that breather element inside of the air box just needing more frequent replacement.

I’m sure someone else will respond with better info soon. Good luck!

Edit (part numbers):
Motorcraft FA1047
WIX 46976
Hastings CB35
AC Delco Gold 12337453

·
Premium Member
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
272 Posts
My '89 XLT 5.0 has that same issue. Mine is "excessive blow-by" meaning I have a stuck ring or rings and it is letting compression blow by the rings through the breather tube into the air box and carrying oil with it. Mine does not smoke through the breather tube or through the tail pipes so I just keep adding oil to keep it full. I put about 165 miles per day on my truck - between the blow-by and my leaking valve covers I have to add a quart of oil about every fourth day. Not bad enough yet to make me want to overhaul it.
TB

Reactions: Want2BS8ed

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco XLT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s the breathing tube for the Crankcase ventilation system. You can replace the filter element for that breather within the air box. There is always going to be some oil getting through there, unless you remove it and run a stand-alone breather on the valve cover. Extreme amounts of oil pressure in the valve cover could be sign of a bad valve seal, but I would either do a leak down test or check for carbon buildup around the valves. Honestly my money is on that breather element inside of the air box just needing more frequent replacement.

I’m sure someone else will respond with better info soon. Good luck!

Edit (part numbers):
Motorcraft FA1047
WIX 46976
Hastings CB35
AC Delco Gold 12337453
Thank you for info!

·
Registered
248 Posts
is anyone else wigged out by the color of the oil? that looks like coolant/water contamination - at least that's what my oil looked like when my head gasket went bad.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,196 Posts
is anyone else wigged out by the color of the oil? that looks like coolant/water contamination - at least that's what my oil looked like when my head gasket went bad.
Yeah, that oil looks like it has water in it. But in that location, moisture from the air can collect too & cause that puddle to look ugly. He should check the oil on the dipstick. If that looks good, then there shouldn't be a coolant issue.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,459 Posts
Yeah, that oil looks like it has water in it. But in that location, moisture from the air can collect too & cause that puddle to look ugly. He should check the oil on the dipstick. If that looks good, then there shouldn't be a coolant issue.
If @Panhandle Bronco does a lotta short trips in colder climates then there would be water vapor accumulating in the Filler tube area that would get pushed into the Air filter box with the oil vapors and causing the milk shake that is the "Good scenario" now for the bad, if your oil is milky then you "gots" a bigger problem. Also as stated above check your PCV valve and line to make sure it is functioning properly.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco XLT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My '89 XLT 5.0 has that same issue. Mine is "excessive blow-by" meaning I have a stuck ring or rings and it is letting compression blow by the rings through the breather tube into the air box and carrying oil with it. Mine does not smoke through the breather tube or through the tail pipes so I just keep adding oil to keep it full. I put about 165 miles per day on my truck - between the blow-by and my leaking valve covers I have to add a quart of oil about every fourth day. Not bad enough yet to make me want to overhaul it.
TB
Thanks TB!

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco XLT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I checked the oil this morning and it only appeared to be dirty( not milky) and about a half quart low.
And yes, I do usually only take short trips around the city here in north idaho.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Thank you!

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,459 Posts
You need to take it on longer trips once in a while to get the oil up to temperature to evaporate the water accumulating in the oil/engine from the Condensation accumulation from the short trips. Does it do it in the Summer/warmer weather also or just during the Winter colder weather?

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco XLT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to take it on longer trips once in a while to get the oil up to temperature to evaporate the water accumulating in the oil/engine from the Condensation accumulation from the short trips. Does it do it in the Summer/warmer weather also or just during the Winter colder weather?
I haven't owned it that long to know if it does it in warmer temperatures. Most of my driving in it is under 10 miles. ( less than 15 minutes travel time most of the time. )
I'll take it for a good drive this weekend.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When I used to drive my 86 Grand National all the time I had a Condensator/Oil Catch can on it and in the cold weather there would be a lot of condensation/water mixed in with the oil but in the warm weather it would just be mainly oil and other combustion by-products.

·
Registered
95 EB 5.8
208 Posts
When I used to drive my 86 Grand National all the time I had a Condensator/Oil Catch can on it and in the cold weather there would be a lot of condensation/water mixed in with the oil but in the warm weather it would just be mainly oil and other combustion by-products.
Way to bury the lede.... you have or had an 86 GN?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had and still have my 86 GN, I "Ordered" it at the Dealership in 86 and picked it up there when it came in, a very highly optioned one at that. It has 272K miles on the original un-opened engine, I drove it everyday for 14 years. I have an 87 GN also with 15K miles on it, still with the Original air in the Original tires.

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,864 Posts
Had the same problem.

Blow-by was so bad in my Bronco when I got it, I installed a Moroso catch can between the filler neck and breather filter. This is what I was draining every 300 miles or so...

Ran fine like that for quite a bit while I plotted the rebuild. Just make sure you drain the catch can regularly and keep the oil topped up.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco XLT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had the same problem.

Blow-by was so bad in my Bronco when I got it, I installed a Moroso catch can between the filler neck and breather filter. This is what I was draining every 300 miles or so...

Ran fine like that for quite a bit while I plotted the rebuild. Just make sure you drain the catch can regularly and keep the oil topped up.
Thanks for your input.
I was wondering if a catch can would work.
I appreciate the tip!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Had the same problem.

That was just on the Fresh air side of the PCV system there is also a Catch can that needs to go between the PCV valve and the Intake manifold Port to catch all the Oil and Crap being sucked up into the Intake manifold and being burned in the engine. You would have seen even more fluid in the other Catch can.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,945 Posts
@Stevo440 is exactly right.
Really need it in both places. I add them on all my trucks. Really makes a difference I think I'm efforts to keep intake clean

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
@Stevo440 is exactly right.
Really need it in both places. I add them on all my trucks. Really makes a difference I think I'm efforts to keep intake clean
In all actuality the one between the PCV valve and intake manifold is more important and it's always getting more abuse than the one in the Fresh air intake side. The only time the Fresh air side gets abused is during low vacuum conditions such as acceleration/high engine load and if the PCV valve is clogged or disconnected or some other problem where it is not functioning correctly. The Fresh air side vents to Atmosphere and or the Air box or a separate filter element whereas the PCV vale side one keeps Oil, Water and any other contaminates from reaching the inside top end of your engine to carbon up the intake, intake valves and combustion chambers and also lower the octane of your fuel and whatever else it does in there.
I was using and selling these Catch cans or "The Condensator" as they were called back then and still are, just the brand that I was dealing with/selling. Look it up online and see/readaboutit for yourself. :geek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts