Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,159 Posts
@Stevo440 Agree the more important one is the PCV to Intake side.
I like having one on the fresh air side as its a good indicator of an issue, even more so then just the "dirty" PCV side. If I could only afford 1 it would be the pcv to intake one for sure tho

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
2,037 Posts
That was just on the Fresh air side of the PCV system there is also a Catch can that needs to go between the PCV valve and the Intake manifold Port to catch all the Oil and Crap being sucked up into the Intake manifold and being burned in the engine. You would have seen even more fluid in the other Catch can.
Agree and you have given good information on dual catch cans in other threads, but this was an expedient bandaid to solve a problem, similar to the OP's, until the motor could be rebuilt.

With the new motor in now, that catch can has been replumbed between the PCV valve and intake along with moving the intake nipple from the back corner so any crud that might get by isn't all dropped in the #8 cylinder.

I still pull about the same amount of oil out (but no water) every 5k miles when I do an oil change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem and I installed a catch can system along the lines of this diagram.
Font Parallel Auto part Drawing Diagram

There are a few variations on this type of installation. A good article on this is at;
Catch Cans 101

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
327 Posts
Where do you find pricing information on these? Their website I guess?

My '89 5.0 could benefit from this setup.

TB

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
515 Posts
In the cold season there is a lot of moisture in the air from rain, snow, thawing when its above freezing. 80-95% relative humidity is common in the NW in the fall and winter when its above freezing. The relative humidity here now is 97% as I write this. So all the air your truck breathes in has a bit of moisture vapor in it. Most of it goes out the exhaust as steam but some of the water vapor gets trapped in the oil and condenses out as water droplets when the oil cools down. When the oil in the pan gets hot again, then this becomes water vapor again and cycles through your PVC valve.

So having some water in the oil or through the PVC at times of the year is normal. It can also happen in hot humid climates.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
These are the ones I bought on Amazon.

SPEEDWOW Oil Catch Can Air Breather Tank Baffled Filter With Hose Kit Universal Black
and
SPEEDWOW Oil Catch Can Tank Micron Bronze Baffled Filter With Hose Kit Universal Black

Good quality product. They were an easy install with all the connectors, hose and hardware. I just installed another set of these on a 1969 F100 390 FE EFI conversion project truck, still in the garage and up on jack stands.
Did you purchase two of the same product, or one of each?
TB

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought one of each. Bought the one with the filter option on top in case I decided to change something down the line. I bought new PCV compatible hose to route them to the correct locations. I also relocated my PCV valve to the driver side valve cover, above cylinder #5, and moved the oil breather to passenger valve cover above cylinder #4.
I don't have pic of installation in our Bronco, but here is the installation in my '69 F100 project truck.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I bought one of each. Bought the one with the filter option on top in case I decided to change something down the line. I bought new PCV compatible hose to route them to the correct locations. I also relocated my PCV valve to the driver side valve cover, above cylinder #5, and moved the oil breather to passenger valve cover above cylinder #4.
I don't have pic of installation in our Bronco, but here is the installation in my '69 F100 project truck.
View attachment 190687
Can you get a picture of the Bronco setup? I sure would like to see the installed setup so I can have something to go by when I get ready to do this to my '89.
Thanks in advance.
TB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our Bronco is on an extended ski/fishing/work trip in the mountains so I can't get any pics of the installation. I installed them next to the stock air filter box on the driver side fender. Before I installed anything, I used an old garden hose and cut it up to figure out how to route the new PCV hoses. I used a lot of that old garden hose, but it was a cheap way to get the PCV hose routing correct.
Alternate location could be on passenger side fender wall near the battery. They don't have to be located next to each other because they work independently. But make sure that you can easily access them to remove the cups to empty them when needed.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Our Bronco is on an extended ski/fishing/work trip in the mountains so I can't get any pics of the installation. I installed them next to the stock air filter box on the driver side fender. Before I installed anything, I used an old garden hose and cut it up to figure out how to route the new PCV hoses. I used a lot of that old garden hose, but it was a cheap way to get the PCV hose routing correct.
Alternate location could be on passenger side fender wall near the battery. They don't have to be located next to each other because they work independently. But make sure that you can easily access them to remove the cups to empty them when needed.
Thank you. I am going to order two of them and give it a try.
TB

21 - 31 of 31 Posts