Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got some questions...how do you know for sure if the rear main is gone out?

my truck has had a very small oil leak for about 7 months now, nothing serious. just yesterday it turned into something a little more serious.

i am scared that i will have to use the money that i have saved to get tires and new gears to replace that seal. i would like to know if that is what is wrong for sure.

thanks for any help. :shrug

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Get yourself some break parts cleaner, and a flashlight. Climb under there and drench the general area (whatch your eyes). Give it a few seconds to dry, and then start it. You should be able to tell where it's coming from then.

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
or if its a real mess under there, clean it first, then when the ol starts to appear again, you can tell for sure

and you shouyld feel some slipping in the tranns, it doesn like oil

·
Registered
741 Posts
:stupid clean the area well, run it for a couple days and track down were the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help. the leak is terrible...about a quart every two days. my biggest problem is that the bronco is my daily driver. i dont know what i will do if i get the tcase and tranny out and then i cant fix it. i consider myself mechanically inclined but i have never done this.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
So you found it? Dropping the tranny is a bit of work, but it isn't difficult. Once you have it out, the rear main is easy to replace.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
It depends on how mechanically inclinded you are, and the shape of the truck. (rust) You can do it in a drive way with a couple of jack stands. I just did it this last week to my dad's truck, with little help. Here's what you do:
-Disconect the battery.
-Jack up all four corners, and place a jackstand under each.
(I cheated with 2 ramps under the front)
-disconect driveshafts
-remove t-case skidplate and t-case
-remove access panel to torque converter, and remove 4 nuts conecting torque converter to flexplate ( a friend could be helpful here to turn the motor)
-place a jack (and a piece of wood) under the tranny, and lift a little to relieve pressure from crossmember (if you have a tranny jack, or access to one, it would help)
-remove crossmember
-remove cooling lines, conectors, linkage vacuum lines from tranny
- remove the 6 or 8 ( can't remember) bolts mounting tranny to motor
-lower and slide tranny out of the way
-remove flexplate
-remove main seal with pliers, screwdriver, or whatever

Be careful when ptting in the new seal so that you don't damage it. There is a tool for installing it, but you can just use the handel from a hammer, and another hammer to gently tap it into place. Put a lil oil on it to help it slide in. Then bolt everything back up in the revers order that you removed it. I don't think I left anything out. If you know what you're doing, and have help, you could have it done in a day, but I would plan on the weekend. If you start Friday night, you'll be ready by Monday morning. Make sure that the oil isn't coming from any where else before you drop the tranny though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts