Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 89 bronco with the 302 and I have an oil leak that sprays the drivers side when hot I’ve checked the valve cover gaskets and the oil pressure switch can’t pinpoint it help please

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
90 Posts
You said it "sprays" meaning you can see it spraying all over or you open your hood after driving and it looks like it has been spraying in there? Are you sure it is motor oil? could it be power steering fluid? that is on the drivers side and is under pressure. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have also seen leaks where it seeped out through the front behind the crank pulley and the pulley slung it in an arc across the fender and hood.
Yes, if it is 'spraying' you should be able to get an idea where it is spraying from.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,423 Posts
Yo Blakeharry19,
Welcome!
Leakage Points
Examine the following areas for oil leakage.

Underhood

• Valve cover gaskets (6584)
  • Intake manifold gaskets (9439)
  • Head gaskets (6051)
  • Oil bypass filter (6714)
  • Distributor O-ring
  • Oil level indicator (dipstick) tube connection
  • Oil pressure sensor (9278)
  • Cup plugs and/or pipe plugs at end of oil passages

Under Engine, with Vehicle on Hoist

• Oil pan gasket (6710)
  • Oil pan front and rear end seals
  • Crankshaft front seal (6700)
  • Crankshaft rear oil seal (6701)
  • Engine damper keyway (damper to damper bolt/washer interface)

Here are the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

Forum FAQs includes for example, How to develop your Signature, Hot to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

Please find time to participate and Vote in our Full-Size Bronco of the Month Contest and later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner!; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; also, a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
if it sprays it has to be either the filter or switch, the valve covers are not under pressure to spray. generally neither are your main seals, but those can sling oil.

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
661 Posts
Change the filter. Make sure the old gasket or gaskets are gone. A gasket that stuck to the block will cause the new gasket to not seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said it "sprays" meaning you can see it spraying all over or you open your hood after driving and it looks like it has been spraying in there? Are you sure it is motor oil? could it be power steering fluid? that is on the drivers side and is under pressure. 🤷‍♂️
I can’t see it it’s almost like it’s being blown around all I see is oil all over the drivers side ig spraying was a poor choice of words

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Makes me think it might be slinging off of something that spins, like a pulley. I mentioned that prior. Is it on the underside of the hood, too?
Maybe clean off the front best you can with some degreaser so you can maybe see better?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
ok, this is simple. remove the fan, start teh truck, hood up, wear some goggles, get a flashlight and start looking. remove the fan factor from it. keep an eye on coolant temps so you do not overheat. My bet is that it is the filter or the pressure switch.

you can always run a hose over the radiator while the fan is out to keep it from overheating btw.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,139 Posts
If you have the Oil Cooler it could be coming from the O-ring between the Cooler and the Block.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you did an oil change recently and by chance you have the old filter, check for the big o-ring on it. i made the same mistake on my 302 and it sprayed like crazy because it had the old o-ring still on there. you can remove the filter no problem without draining the oil but be prepared to loose a bit, double check the filter and sealing surface of the filter housing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update I checked the oil filter and that wasn’t it so I checked at the front of the motor and behind the fan I can see where something is dripping residually from the last time I ran it So the next step would be? Thanks for all the advice by the way I’ve actually learned a lot just from reading the replies

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Is it coming from behind the balancer? If so that seal may need replacing. There is also a steel sleeve that can be glued on the snout of the damper to 'increase' it's diameter slightly so it seals better. Sometimes that does the trick but should be considered a stop-gap until you replace the actual seal.
Also check around the dizzy base and front of the intake. Those two places are less likely though.
To start wipe off the oil if you can, start it and go up front to see if you can see it start to seep from somewhere.
A pic showing your visible symptomology would help perhaps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts